- Report: #411902
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Office Max
Office MaxSt Rt. 36&37 Delaware, Ohio U.S.A.
Office Max office max not informing people of pre employment credit screening Delaware Ohio
*Consumer Comment: Yes, they do run a "hard" report
*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Embarrassed
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
Later I was applying at another store and the person interviewing me told me that they would do a credit check, and that he needed to get my social security number and permission to run the check, which I found online later that stores that do this have to have your permission, in writing, before they can run a credit check on you, surprise! I was never informed by Office max that they would run one, And never told after the fact either.
I decided to look on their hiring website and see if there was anything in the "agreement" that you have to click okay to before you can fill out an application. I copied and pasted it below.
Please carefully read the following before agreeing, since it contains terms and conditions that affect your application and potential employment, or, if you have already been hired, your continued employment.
In exchange for OfficeMax's consideration of this application and my possible employment and/or my continued employment with OfficeMax, I agree to the following terms and conditions:
1. Authorization and Release: I authorize OfficeMax to conduct an investigation of my qualifications for employment, including verification of my educational history. I realize that the investigation may include contacting prior employers, references, and educational institutions I have attended, unless I have indicated otherwise on this form. I release any and all persons and parties connected with the investigation from any and all claims or damages arising from the furnishing of information as part of that investigation.
2. Alcohol and Drug Testing/Physical Exam: I understand that OfficeMax has a strong policy concerning alcohol and drug use and that after a conditional offer of employment, I will have to take and pass OfficeMax's drug-screening test and may be required to take a physical exam. I also understand that during the course of my employment with OfficeMax, I may be required to submit to a job-related physical exam and may be subject to drug and/or alcohol testing under certain conditions as defined by company policy.
3. Federal Drug-Free Workplace Statement: As a federal contractor, OfficeMax complies with the Drug-Free Workplace Act. The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession, use of or being under the influence of a controlled substance or alcohol is prohibited in OfficeMax's workplaces. I understand that as a condition of employment, each employee at OfficeMax must (a) abide by the terms of this statement and (b) notify OfficeMax in writing of any criminal drug-statute conviction for a violation occurring in the workplace no later than five calendar days after such conviction. I also understand that within 30 calendar days after receiving notice of a workplace drug conviction, OfficeMax will (a) take appropriate disciplinary action against the employee, up to and including termination, or (b) require the employee to satisfactorily participate in an employee assistance or rehabilitation program.
4. Criminal-Record Check: Unless restricted by law, I understand that in conjunction with my application for employment, OfficeMax will conduct a criminal-record check of criminal convictions and pending prosecutions in accordance with applicable federal and state laws and that information obtained as a result of this record check may, but will not necessarily, result in my not receiving an offer of employment, withdrawal of my offer of employment, or termination of employment.
5. Authorization to Work in the United States: I understand that if I am offered employment with OfficeMax, I must provide documentation to establish that I am either a U.S. citizen or a foreign national lawfully authorized to work in the United States and that if I am unable to provide such documentation, my offer of employment may be revoked (not applicable in Arizona). I verify that the information I will provide on this application (or related to my application) is true, complete, and accurate and that I am legitimately seeking a job with OfficeMax. I understand that any omission of information requested or any false or misleading information that I furnish on or in connection with the application for employment, including my authorization for a criminal-record check, may result in rejection of my application and/or may be considered justification for termination of employment if discovered at a later date. By clicking agree, I certify that I have read and agree to the terms of the above employment understanding.
I don't see anything in this agreement that states they will run a credit check. How can a company want to hire honest employees and be dishonest in their own practices?
Also I think its discrimination to claim a person will steal from you just because they have some bad things on their credit, I have never stolen from an employer in my life and I even worked for the federal government, my fingerprints are on file. The only reason they do this is because the company that runs the credit check, whom get payed for each one they run, tells these companies that it will weed out dishonest people, so if your poor, or had some bad luck, your a criminal.
Anyway, i digress, the fact is that office max broke the law and any one who finds out that a company runs a credit check on them without their knowledge should blow the whistle on them, I know I will be.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/14/2009 08:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Office-Max/Delaware-Ohio-43015/Office-Max-office-max-not-informing-people-of-pre-employment-credit-screening-Delaware-Ohi-411902. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.