Complaint Review: Pep Boys

• Reported By: julia099 — Jefferson Louisiana United States of America
Pep Boys
Prices Corner, Wilmington, DE Wilmington, Delaware United States of America

Pep Boys RIP OFF>>POOR SERVICE....INCOMPLETE WORK Wilmington, Delaware

*Author of original report: She's dead

*Consumer Comment: Should vs Shall-Recommendations vs Requirements

*Author of original report: Water Pump

*General Comment: Dumb

In July, 2011 I had Pep Boys put a new timing belt in my 2000 Hyundai.  A little over a year later the water pump goes, blows a rod and ruins my engine.  I find out that they should have replaced the water pump when they did the timing belt since it is a belt driven water pump and they never did it.  Now they say they are not responsible for anything because its not something that HAS to be done at the same time, (although everyone I spoke to says different) and because an entire year has passed!

I've been using this Pep Boys for about 30 years along with my family and friends.  No one I know will ever go there again.
I had to junk my car.................

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/29/2012 12:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pep-Boys/Wilmington-Delaware-19808/Pep-Boys-RIP-OFFPOOR-SERVICEINCOMPLETE-WORK-Wilmington-Delaware-961621. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pep Boys

She's dead

AUTHOR: julia099 - (United States of America)

Well today I had my beloved car towed from Pep Boys and scrapped.  After 30 years of using them, I will never use Pep Boys again!

Should vs Shall-Recommendations vs Requirements

AUTHOR: SUCKA! - (USA)

It's not a requirement to replace the water pump when replacing a timing belt, but it's certainly an industry-wide recommendation.  If it takes 2.7 hrs labor to replace the timing belt, and only an additional .5 hrs labor to add in the water pump, it only makes sense to recommend the water pump. If youre in there near the camshaft seals, I would recommend replacing those too.  Any belts that need to be removed to get to the timing belt, I would recommend that, too (only if they are not in good condition).  Any gaskets required to be removed to get to a certain job...recommend replacing those, too.

Prior to committing to any costly repair or service, I would shop around...get a second and third opinion. In doing so, you might hear different recommendations thrown into the pot.  If one shop recommends replacing something the last shop didn't tell you about, ask them why.  Ask them which products they would use.  Do a little bit of online research.

You don't have a valid complaint, when it comes to them not replacing your water pump.  It would have been an extra parts and labor cost to you to do so.  However, I'm really taken aback by the fact that they didn't recommend it.

A lot can happen to a vehicle in a month, let alone a year's time frame.

Water Pump

AUTHOR: julia099 - (United States of America)

I was on a bridge, half way across the Mississippi when it went into the gauge showed it moving into the red zone.  By the time I pulled over at the very top of the bridge and turned the car off, the gauge was still moving into the red but would not start again.  I had no advanced noticed, no notice at all and still think that since the industry standard is to replace the water pump when replacing the timing belt that Pep Boys was negligent and incompetent!

#4 General Comment

Dumb

AUTHOR: Bubba Lee - (Canada)

They are dumb for not doing the recommended maintenance when changing your timing belt. What we call in the trade leaving money on the counter. By the way many cars including my fathers Toyota recommend pump replacement with timing belt.

2nd you have missed the limited warranty rules on your repair order. They warranty the work DONE for a set period, not the work not done.

Finally water pumps fail, fact of life, they very rarely fail without warning and never directly cause a Connecting rod to fail, you are supposed to notice when the red light on the dash comes on and shut the car off.