Complaint Review: Specialty Merchandise Corporation

• Submitted: Mon, October 01, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, October 03, 2007

• Reported By:Kissimmee Florida
Specialty Merchandise Corporation
996 Flower Glen Street Simi Valley, California U.S.A.

Specialty Merchandise Corporation Lied about refund, included wothless website which you can upgrade for a price Simi Valley California

*Author of original report: smc refunded my money after they used it for a week.

Immediately after I enrolled I contacted the E-Merchant division who assists you with setting up your website. They informed me that basicly the free website was garbage (a prepared catalog of low priced merchandise they had picked) and I would need to upgrade if I hoped to be sucessful. This would only cost me another $400 dollars and noone ever did tell me about the 29.95 a month hosting fee for the website. The $214 membership fee and the $400 website was supposedly all I would ever have to pay except for the 44.95 catalog fee anually. Of course if I wished I could get the E-Merchant Deluxe website for only about $2,000.00

15 minutes after I signed up for the membership I found 192 complaints about the company on Ripoffreport.com. I attempted to contact my (coach) who had given me an extension that did not even exist. I immediately contacted the company and told them not to charge my credit card, not to send me anything and to cancel my membership immediately. They informed me that my card had already been charged but at a different location. They supposedly have processed my cancelation and refunded the money back to my credit card on the 28th. I have called numerous times since the 19th of Septemeber and they all told me until Friday that the refund was in process.

I called today to complain that the money was still not in my account. They were going to check with the credit card department, but, when she went to check on them, because they were not answering the phone, they had all went to lunch. She said she would talk to them when they got back from lunch and call me back. That was seven hours ago and I have not heard back from her. Yes I did give her the benefit of the doubt (maybe she got busy and forgot) and called her back but she went home for the night.

At this moment the money is not even pending in my account. I'll be calling again in the morning.

I checked, and, until I just filed one, they miraculously have not had a report filed against them with the Better Business Bureau.

Gary
Kissimmee, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/01/2007 09:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Specialty-Merchandise-Corporation/Simi-Valley-California-93065/Specialty-Merchandise-Corporation-Lied-about-refund-included-wothless-website-which-you-c-276670. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Specialty Merchandise Corporation

smc refunded my money after they used it for a week.

AUTHOR: Gary - (U.S.A.)

As much as I hate to do this I must tell you I got my money back today. I'm still not happy about their deceptive business practices, but I did get my money back. Good luck to everyone who has been ripped off by this company.

Thought for the day.
If SMC holds everyone's refund for at least 7 days and they paid $214, like I did. 1000 people do the same thing every day. (I'm sure this a very conservative figure) 1,000 x 214= $214,000 income every day which they hold for a minimum of 7 days. Now that's a business even if they eventually do refund the money. Very Interesting (pun intended)