Complaint Review: Verizon Wireless

• Updated: Wed, June 25, 2014

• Reported By: Kaylee — Springboro Pennsylvania
Verizon Wireless
Edinboro, Pennsylvania USA

Verizon Wireless overcharged by a landslide, cost us hundreds, had to choose between food and my education Edinboro Pennsylvania

*General Comment: How??

I'm an online school student and I require a hi speed internet connection for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Living in a rural area there are very few isp that will cater to my needs, and Verizon is the biggest one out here. We first purhased a data plan from Verizon that allowed us 10 gigs a month. With minimal usage outside of my schooling, we were led to believe that this would be a cheap and effective alternative to dial up.

The first month alone cost us twice the amount we were told. We begrudgingly paid the ridiculous bill, and continued in this manner until July of 2013. Verizon now claims that we owe them >700$ for going over our data limit. We've called customer support an innumerable amount of times, and each time we've recieved the same hem and haw. We have since refused payment and were denied service.

At the end of summer 2013, we purchased a Verizon Jetpack 4g lte. It's a prepaid wireless internet hotspot that was claimed to only charge for downloading and uploading. We paid 60$ for 3gigs of data. Little did we know that ALL WEB USAGE will deplete your data. Within 2 HOURS of web usage (no videos, no music, few images), we were informed that we had already used 10% of our data. (Not to mention that the connection is very inconsistent, even in areas of good service.)

A simple google search will show you that THOUSANDS of people have fallen victim to the data-leeching bank-draining scam that is Verizon Wireless.

This is beyond infuriating for the reasons below. Feel free to secure my calculations.

8 (hours a day) * 5 (days a week) = 40 (hours of required internet usage per week)

40 (hours per week) * 26 (weeks in a school year) = 1040 (hours Im required to be active online)

10% of 3 gigs is around .307 megabytes. If i use 10% of 3 gigs in two hours that's .154 gigs per hour.

1040 (hours active) * .154 (gigs per hour) = 160.16 gigs a year.

$60 / 3 (gigs) = $20 per gig

$20 (per gig) * 160.16 (gigs a year) = $3203.20 for a single year of internet usage if the only thing I do is my schoolwork.

I am also required to download videos and audio for my classes, and to attend live sessions on a video chat site weekly. I only factored in the gigs per hour for GENERAL WEB USAGE (no videos, no audio, few images), meaning that to complete my given coursework it would cost me exponentially more than the price for general web usage.

So, I will more than likely be dropping out of my online schooling before graduation. Thank you, Verizon, for you have shown me that even the biggest companies still try to screw the little guy. Also for teaching me the value of internet access, and how pointless it is to call customer service. I wonder how much typing this up will cost me?

We would GLADLY take Verizon to court to but sadly our interactions with this company have left us in no position to hire a lawyer. Yay, capitalism!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/05/2013 08:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Verizon-Wireless/Edinboro-Pennsylvania/Verizon-Wireless-overcharged-by-a-landslide-cost-us-hundreds-had-to-choose-between-food-1081861. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Verizon Wireless

#1 General Comment

How??

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

How exactly are THEY ripping YOU off? Verizon is ONLY charging YOU what YOU have used in data. Lets be clear and honest here. YOU fail to calculate the OTHER internet usage that goes on with your connection. Verizon is charging YOU based on how much you have used. There is no hi speed ISP in your area except Verizon. This is a issue of YOUR internet use and LESS about them screwing YOU. Sorry "Kaylee" but the web is a lot smarter then YOU are giving its general users credit for. EVERYONE has already gone through the "data overage" crisis of a few years ago. So we are all informed as to HOW your bill can be driven up so high. With Verizon its $10 for every gig over your allocated amount. If you have received a bill for $700.00 then that means if you cut out how much you paid for regular service, that leaves roughly $540.00 estimating roughly $80.00 per line. Since you only give minimal information, Im calculating a phone and a hotspot. This would mean that you went over your allocated data by 54 gigs!!! That's a lot of data. That's roughly 25 movies is HD. Since I do not know YOUR data usage and have no idea of your daily online habits, I have to wonder WHAT you are blowing 54 gigs on. Its possible that your hotspot was "hacked" and a third party is using YOUR internet. Probably a neighbor. Do you stream music?? This would eat up a ton of data. How many movies do you watch?? One a day or are you a marathon viewer? YOU have to dig in and STOP making assumptions. Find out WHY your data is so high. IF as you state that YOU have to download a lot and attend live streaming meetings then there is ZERO ISP that are going to be able to meet your online demands. Atleast not an inexpensive one. Sorry but YOU are a victim of your own choices here. Im sure if you moved you would get EXCELLENT service from a metro area ISP. YOU went with the wrong service for YOUR needs. Get over it. Because YOUR use and them charging you for that use IS NOT A RIP OFF. You claim you are attending school but your critical thinking skills are on FAIL right now. Yes its upsetting to have to pay a bill that large, but YOU did this to yourself. WHY would you take the time to post a FAKE report?? Oh I know why.....youre thinking YOU can cause Verizon some sort of embarrassment online and pump them for FREE DATA. Well youre about 7 years too late for that ploy to work. The web has matured and has seen that online reviews are NORMALLY just people whining online because much like children who did not get their own way, they think its all unfair. Well, ITS NOT!!!! Its called YOU USED DATA AND GET CHARGED FOR IT!!! Nothing more. I would hate to think that YOU are an example of our educational system. If so we REALLY need to teach these students better COMMON SENSE!!!

dirty