Complaint Review: AutoZone

• AutoZone
    MLK Blvd.
    New Bern, North Carolina
    United States of America

I bought the top of the line 8 year battery from AutoZone one year ago. The battery has a 36 month replacement warranty. Now the battery is very weak to start every morning. I had the charging system checked and there was no problem there. I drove the twenty five miles to AutoZone to get a replacement. He checks the battery (in the car) and tells me it's fine. What!

He refused to believe me when I told him the battery loses power overnight and my drive to the store recharged the battery. Then he wants me to leave the car (and walk home I suppose) so he can check the drain. Bottom line is that they make every excuse to Not honor their battery warranty. Now I am stuck with a one year old $110.00 battery that is bound to leave me stranded. Think twice before buying their batteries, I won't make that mistake again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/27/2013 07:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/autozone/new-bern-north-carolina-28560/autozone-battery-warranty-rip-off-new-bern-north-carolina-1004487. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
2Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Auto Zone Update

AUTHOR: rw - (United States of America)

I posted the original complaint. Battery testing is like a lie detector test, it is not a perfect science. Battery test results can be positive and the battery can still fail under certain circumstances. That being said it is only good business practice to give the benefit of doubt to the customer, and I am happy to say that AutoZone did just that after I complained to Corporate. I received a phone call from the AutoZone District Manager who informed me that batteries can do "funky things" sometimes and in order to give me "peace of mind" he had contacted the store and arranged the exchange, no questions asked.

I exchanged the battery the next day. My hat is off to AutoZone for putting their customer first.

#2 General Comment

It Passed a Load Test, Didn't It?

AUTHOR: SUCKA! - (USA)

A bad battery should fail a load test at any given time.  Since the alternator is doing it's job and the battery passes a load test, that means something in the electrical wiring of your vehicle is probably draining the battery overnight while parked.  I'm not saying that you have children who are playing with the interior lights and leaving them on at night, but the electrical wiring in your vehicle could be mimicking something similar.  For example, a loose ground wire, a faulty brake lamp switch, bad wiring harness in the driver door, etc... Why would they keep replacing a perfectly good battery for you if you 1.  Can't prove the battery is bad or 2.  Can't prove something in your own vehicle is draining the battery?

#3 General Comment

WARRANTY COVERAGE

AUTHOR: Bubba Lee - (Canada)

(I BET) The Fellow at the AutoZone is actually in trouble for trying to do you a favour.

The warranty policy says test battery using the load tester provided. If it passes do not replace battery.

By asking you to leave the car he broke the rules and could be punished. (I have been) Yes it is that stupid.

But you also wouldn't let him test the battery in the "Failed State" that you claim it gets to over night.

He can't replace it unless he can prove its faulty.

You are proof "NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED"