Last year, I decided to try BitDefender security software for our home antivirus protection. Before installing, I read technical reports about the software. Obviously, I did not research enough. This I take full responsibility.
After installing the 'trial' software, all seemed well so I went ahead and purchased the software 1-yr licenses. Soon after installing the software and updating the program to the purchased version, my family members were having issue with the software blocking nearly every site they visited. Shopping for clothes - blocked, shopping for shoes - blocked, email - blocked, nearly anything - blocked.
Being a technician by trade I thought, no problem. I will just check the filter and ease it down to allow shopping and other fun sites that teenagers enjoy. The only thing I cared to block was objectionable content.
Nothing worked! I turned the filter OFF and it STILL blocked the same as it had been blocking. Nearly everything.
I called Support to figure out what was going wrong. The only configuration that support could get the software to not block every site attempted to be reached was to DISABLE THE SOFTWARE ENTIRELY. LOL! Really? Completely disable the antivirus software?
The technician told me to leave it in that configuration for a few days and let him know if that 'fixed' the problem. I informed the technician that if this was an acceptable configuration and he considered this the 'fix', I wanted a refund and would be purchasing different software. The support technician went on to tell me that he would escalate my request and I would hear from sales within 24/48 hours to begin the process for refund. 48 hours came and went. Heck...365 days have come and gone...never a call or email. UNTIL...I had been informed that my license was 'auto renewed"!!! Are kidding me?! I had decided last year to cut my losses and move on with the software I had never should have considered replacing. I am one who believes you MUST pay for antivirus software if you want true protection. Free...you get what you pay for.
Anyway, I figured that I would not have any issue requesting a refund since I do not have the software installed and do not plan to install this software on any of our systems. So, I place a complaint/request on the BitDefender site demanding a refund on the cost they I did not want to auto-renew. Additionally, I call support to be sure they understood I wanted my money back in my account ASAP! The support technician told me that he would escalate my request to the highest priority and I would definitely hear from sales within 24/48 hours. Hmmm....sounds familiar.
I wait 48+ hours, still no contact from this rip off company, so I put in another web request AND call support...again.
Guess what?! The technician has placed highest priority on my request. He understands my frustration and I should be contacted within 24/48 hours.
I believe I have no choice except to close my account and request a new card.
This really makes me think about how many places my information may be 'at rest' in company databases that I really do not want my information to reside.
Learn from my mistake! Do NOT purchase from this company! Not only will the software be in a constant battle with your system attempting to provide you information you request; you will be in a never ending battle to attempt to recover the costs and any further charges this company decides to charge you.
Horrible product. The company business practice is much worse.