Complaint Review: Colonial Life

• Colonial Life

Columbia, South Carolina
    United States of America

Colonial Life mis-representation of policy Columbia, South Carolina

On July 26th of 2011 I met with Marlean Dozier an agent with Colonial Life out of Columbia SC. I agreed to buy a "short term disability" policy. During a lengthy discussion about the policy I walked away believing that I had just signed up for a 6 month disability policy. A co worker who also signed up had an issue which put him out of work and he filed a claim and was told his benefits were only for 3 months. After hearing this I looked at my policy and found that after paying for this policy since July of 2011 and thinking all along it was for a 6 month benefit period it is actually only a 3 month policy !

I also learned that you must have an "accident" to collect this benefit and anything else would have to "reviewed" by the company to see if it was eligible for benefit. Again I'm feeling deceived, as I was under the impression that if you were out of work with any kind of medical issue you would be able to collect this benefit. l have never had to file a claim with this company and will as I have canceled the policy as of this morning. In addition I have filed a report with the SC Attorney General's Office Dept of Consumer Affairs.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/08/2013 09:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/colonial-life/columbia-south-carolina-29202-3195/colonial-life-mis-representation-of-policy-columbia-south-carolina-1010842. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content