Complaint Review: Marine Federal Credit Union

USA
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

I obtained a Marine Federal Credit Union (MFCU) checking account as a backup account for its convenience while serving as an active duty Marine on Quantico, VA.  After I retired from the Marine Corps, I was laid off from my job and was forced to live soely off of my military pension for eleven months.  During this time, I overdrew my account by 55 cents purchasing gasoline.
MFCU slapped me with a $27.50 overdraft fee.  When I asked them if they could waive the fee due to my fixed income situation, they refused stating that "if we did that for you then we would have to do it for everybody."

So, I informed MFCU that I would not be able to pay it until the 1st of the month when I receive my retirement.  Apparently, they couldn't wait.  As I sent in the payment, they charged off the account shortly after I spoke to the representative.  They received their $28.05 a few days later.  Even though I was unemployed, I managed to keep my credit clean except for this negative entry.  Though I have sent several letters requesting that they overlook the 55 cent mistake, they are content with marring my credit for 7 years as if $27.50 from an unemployed veteran wasn't enough.

Until my seven years is up and for many years thereafter, I will continue to warn people away from MFCU.  I have never had this problem with Navy Federal Credit Union or USAA.  The moral of the story is, "Don't bank with MarineFederal Credit Union."

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/11/2014 11:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/marine-federal-credit-union/jacksonville-north-carolina-28541-1551/marine-federal-credit-union-mfcu-dont-bank-with-marine-federal-credit-union-jacksonville-1114903. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
3Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Not going on your credit report

AUTHOR: Susie - ()

This will not be reported on your credit report, as it is under $35.00. Although the fee may stink, it states clearly in the membership booklet you likely threw away right after you received it, that any overages would resut to being charged a fee. Pay the negative balance and move on.

This credit union almost certainly did exactly what was in their agreement with you when you signed up for the account..

AUTHOR: Ken - ()

YOUR reasons why they should have given you special treatment are irrelevant.  Also, your use of your military status is overused and abused by many.  What difference does that make?  Are you saying you want/deserve special treatment?

If it's "wrong" to charge you an NSF fee for "only" 55 cents, how much should you be allowed to overdraft before the fee kicks in.  There has to be equal treatment for all...even you. Hang tough, Marine.

One question..

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

So if you never had problem with the other banks what did they do when you overdrafted your account with them?

After all if you are trying to compare "Apples with Apples" you must have Overdrafted with them and told them that it would be a while before you could replace the funds.