• Report: #221658
Complaint Review:

The Social Security Administration And The United States Government

  • Submitted: Tue, November 21, 2006
  • Updated: Fri, December 01, 2006

  • Reported By:memphis Tennessee
The Social Security Administration And The United States Government
SSA.gov Nationwide U.S.A.

The Social Security Administration And The United States Government They support and encourage deadbeat dads Federal Government Agency Tennessee

*Author of original report: The Questin Still Remains

*Consumer Comment: Receiving checks for dependents

*Consumer Comment: Stan doesn't know what he is talking about!

*UPDATE Employee: SSI Clarification

*Consumer Comment: Monique, Take a deep breath

REBUTTAL BOX™ | Respond to this Report! | Consumer Comment

What's this?
Corporate Advocacy Program

Show customers why they should trust your business over your competitors...

What's this?
What's this?
Is this
Ripoff Report
About you?
Ripoff Report
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
commitment to
customer satisfaction
Click here now..

Does your business have a bad reputation?
Fix it the right way.
Corporate Advocacy Program™

Set the record straight:
Arbitration Program

SEO Reputation Management at its best!

I have a mojor problem with the social security administration. I recently filed for child support for my two children ages 3 and 7 against their father here in the great state of Tennessee. I knew it would be hard because he's a ja**, but I had no idea the government would assist him in his scam.

When I filed in Memphis with the Shelby county Juvenile Court system they told me that he probably won't have to pay. WHAT!!! As it turns out he got a 'pay as able' ruling, meaning he doesn't have to pay if he can't. And anyone knowing anything about deatdads know he will always claim he 'ain't able'. Now you may ask how did he get such a break. He's on SSI.

I called the SSA myself and asked is this true. they claimed it's state by state. My state claimed it's federal. Either way they both said that an SSI check is lke a welfare check and they don't have to pay child support.

He is not disabled for one thing and I told them that. My question to any reasonable person is this. Is this right? He made these babies with me. Yet, I'm the only one taking care of them. I wrote every politician in my state I could, the mayor, my representative, my senetors, my govennor even. I wrote everybody but Bush himself to get that question answered then I found this site.

My kids don't understand my lack of money at Christmas and birthdays. The utility companies don't want to here about this matter when my bill is due. My landlord certainly doesn't when the rent is due. So can anyone explain to me why this government would allow this. IfI were on welfare and I have been just to survive but you really cant, I still have to support my kids. Why doesn't he?

I just don't understand this system. Most candidates for office and even elected politicians claim they want this and that for our children but ask me who responded to my letters. NO ONE!!! Not one of them- oh I'm sorry Sen. Frist did put me on his email list for his news letter.

Something has to be done to change this. It doesn't matter if a man or woman is on SSI, social security, or is working and they have minor children they should be required to support them. No government agencey be it county, city, state, or federal should facilitate a parent's not supporting their children.

memphis, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/21/2006 11:45 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/the-social-security-administration-and-the-united-states-government/nationwide/the-social-security-administration-and-the-united-states-government-they-support-and-encou-221658. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Social Security Administration And The United States Government

Search for additional reports

If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:

Search Tips
Report & Rebuttal
Respond to this report!
What's this?
Also a victim?
What's this?
Repair Your Reputation!
What's this?
0Author 5Consumer 0Employee/Owner
Updates & Rebuttals

#1 Author of original report

The Questin Still Remains

AUTHOR: Monique - (U.S.A.)

To answer Stans question, of course not. Yet, I still don't understand why a disabled person, whether he or she is truely disabled or not, can be exempt from child support. Does a disability make you any less of a parent. Suport comes with parenthood. With this system you can play at being mommy or daddy but you don't have to be responsible. I want what's fair. Is this fair? I am not a gold digger and I could care less about where or how he gets his income. I just think the current system sucks. And to the employee I can back my statment up, but no one at the SSA cared.

I'm not the only tax payer here. Do we want to continue paying deadbeats scamming the government. Voters in te past wanted the AFDC system overhauled to get rid of 'welfare' mothers. What's the difference here. He's a welfare dad in reverse. He's using SSI to avoid paying and the government is allowing it. I don't care if it's state or federal or whatever it's still wrong.
Respond to this report!
What's this?

#2 Consumer Comment

Receiving checks for dependents

AUTHOR: Greg - (U.S.A.)

I do feel bad for those in the OP's situation. Unfortunately, many pensions, retirement checks, and government benefit checks are exempted from attachment and garnishment by federal and/or state laws.

These laws are meant to protect those on 'fixed' incomes from having their only means of support taken away. I believe this situation is slowly changing, as child welfare advocates make headway in getting laws changed.

As to dependents getting checks, it depends on what program the benefit receipient is receiving benefits from. SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is different than Social Security Disability. Social Security Disability does give dependents support checks. It is an earnings-based program, as the SSA employee stated.

SSI, on the other hand, is not an earnings-based program, and I believe, is a program administered jointly by states and the federal government, similar to Medicaid. In fact, children with serious disabilities often get SSI checks to assist with their care.

If the 'deadbeat dad' the OP is trying to collect from is on Social Security Disability, then getting checks is likely. If he is on SSI, I do not believe benefit checks are payable.
Respond to this report!
What's this?

#3 Consumer Comment

Stan doesn't know what he is talking about!

AUTHOR: Lori - (U.S.A.)

I know from personal experience that SSI will send checks to minor children.

Several years ago, my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He was givin six months to live, he actually lived for three and a half years. He worked for as long as he could and then had to go on SSI. Both myself and my younger sister received checks from SSI. He died when I was sixteen and we continued to receive the checks until we turned 18.

Stan really needs to get his facts straight!
Respond to this report!
What's this?

#4 UPDATE Employee

SSI Clarification

AUTHOR: Stan - (U.S.A.)

Monique, as a career Social Security employee, I am concerned whenever I hear of SSA abuses. However, payment of child support is determined under state law, so a blanket statement cannot be made concerning payment of child support from SSI Disability income.

SSI is a needs-based program for aged and disabled individuals. Unlike Social Security benefits, which is paid based upon the earnings of the worker, SSI does not provide payments to dependents. One must qualify for SSI based on their own situation (age, disability, income and resources). Therefore the original poster's children can't be entitled to SSI just because their father receives SSI payment.

Concerning the other item raised by the OP, that the child's father is not disabled, if she has evidence to back up her statement, she should share this with her local Social Security office for investigation. (I wonder if she would have raised this question if his SSI were being garnisheed to pay child support?)
Respond to this report!
What's this?

#5 Consumer Comment

Monique, Take a deep breath

AUTHOR: Lori - (U.S.A.)

In most states collecting child support is difficult when the other parent is on SSI. Thats because the monthly amount is so small that it's difficult to support yourself, let alone minors. I understand your frustration.

However, you might want to check and see if your children qualify for benefits under their fathers case. I know that in the case of SSA-D, SSA and I thought SSI, your children as minors would be entitled to a check payable to you for them each month. The check sould be direct deposited into your bank account (to my understanding you must open an account with your name FOR childs name), and each year you would have to 'verify' that you were the one responsible for deciding how the funds were spent.

Although I may be off base here, it's worth a call to your local SSA office to find out.

Good Luck and keep us updated.
Respond to this report!
What's this?
Report & Rebuttal
Respond to this report!
What's this?
Also a victim?
What's this?
Repair Your Reputation!
What's this?