Complaint Review: ASF International

• Submitted: Mon, November 05, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, February 05, 2008

• Reported By:Phoenix Arizona
ASF International
640 Plaza Drive, Suite 300 Highlands Ranch, Colorado U.S.A.

ASF International Unfair, Unethical Billing Practices Highlands Ranch Colorado

*UPDATE Employee: Consumers need to read contracts they sign...

If you're looking at specialized schools, for yourself or your child, be careful about signing long-term contracts with the specialized schools. Let me tell you why, based on a recent unpleasant experience that I've had. Last year I took my daughter to a local martial arts school here in the Phoenix metro area where I live. I liked the school, liked the instructor and signed a contract with AKF Black Belt Academy in Phoenix without reading the terms of the contract.

Unfortunately, the contract and billing for the school are handled by ASF International, a greedy and unethical company that administers billing for martial arts schools but functions more like a sleazy collection agency than a legitimate company. When I attempted to cancel my contract because my daughter was no longer attending the school, I was told that I was "not allowed" to cancel the contract, that only ASF could cancel it. I have been going round and round with this company, but the bottom line is, they are billing me for the full term of the contract, almost $1500, and the only counter offer they have made to me is if I pay off half of that amount they will allow me to cancel the contract.

Needless to say, I will not do that. I have already filed a complaint with the Phoenix Better Business Bureau about AKF Black Belt Academy and ASF, and will be filing a complaint with the BBB of Colorado, where ASF is based. I will also contact the Colorado Attorney General's Office to file a complaint about this company. I urge anyone who has been ripped off or harassed by ASF's unethical billing practices to do the same.

Ringg
Phoenix, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/05/2007 07:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ASF-International/Highlands-Ranch-Colorado-80129-2399/ASF-International-Unfair-Unethical-Billing-Practices-Highlands-Ranch-Colorado-283141. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ASF International

Consumers need to read contracts they sign...

AUTHOR: Chris - (U.S.A.)

I think Mr. Ringgenberg says it all when he states in his complaint that "he did not read the contract". Mr. Ringgenberg committed to a one year contract. Health club and martial arts contracts are not based on attendance. Mr. Ringgenberg's contract CLEARLY states the reasons acceptable in order to cancel. If the member does not meet any of the specified reasons then they can buyout the agreement. Seems pretty reasonable to me. Most companies that require a term agreement do not have any buyout options.

Chris Peterson