Complaint Review: Damark

• Submitted: Wed, March 06, 2002
  • Updated: Sun, October 27, 2002

• Reported By:carol city fl
Damark
7101 Winnetka Ave N. Minneapolis, Minnesota U.S.A.

Damark abuses access to customers credit cards

*Consumer Suggestion: Damark, Provell's contact info ..call them - it got me a refund!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: damark practices

I ordered a computer w/monitor and printer from Damark on 3/11/00. The product was received on 4/07/00. The computer was broken, it could not boot up. I phoned customer service and was told to return the products at their expense. I returned the product and cancelled the order. That is when the problem occurred. Damark refused to credit my account for the full amount of the product. When questioned, they claimed that the missing $73.99 was a "membership fee", and was non-refundable. I called my bank to dispute the charge, and was told by my bank that essentially, Damark was entitled to add charges to my Visa credit/debit card, because I had "previously placed an order with the company, establishing a merchant-customer relationship". I asked my bank (Washington Mutual) if it was considered a "legal and ethical practice" for companies to arbitrarily place charges on customers' credit cards, simply because they had the credit card number on file from a previous transaction. The bank's representative 'Debra', replied that yes, this was legal and acceptable. I have strong doubts about this practice. I phoned Damark on numerous occasions to dispute this charge,( a membership charge that I never ordered, nor wanted) and was treated very rudely by customer assistants and supervisors. I would like my $73.99 back, and will never shop from Damark again, nor recommend this company to any one looking for a reputable, honest company with courteous employees. Also, the merchandise as stated before, was very shoddy.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/06/2002 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Damark/Minneapolis-Minnesota-55428-5613/Damark-abuses-access-to-customers-credit-cards-16114. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Damark

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Damark, Provell's contact info ..call them - it got me a refund!

AUTHOR: Aaron - ()

This is the information I used to finally get my double-refund check (for credit card fraud):

Provell
Mike Gregory
333 Grant Ave
Junction City KS 66441- Map
(785) 761-3700
FAX: (785) 761-3701

I just called that number, and whoever picked up found my file immediately. The next day someone from their Consumer Affairs dept. called me back and I was actually cashing a double-refund check within 30 days. Good luck!

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

damark practices

AUTHOR: roberta - ()

as a former employee of damark i know first hand how they work,, i started out taking phone orders and before i was let go for not meeting my quota in sales i was a customer rep. ..

the person that got charged for a membership that he/she did not order is not the first nor will it be the last one that will happen to..damark is good at that..

the charge can and should be taken off the credit card...the person needs to also know that just because they do take it off,, that they need to state that they do not want it re-newed in the future either or other wise in one year that same membership will be billed to the same credit card...

i have seen it done on several occations.. so tell the person in question not to give up and remember sometimes the rep. is just doing what they are told to do in order to keep their jobs.. it may not be right but sometimes a person has no choice...

just hang in there and good luck,, and remember never order from them again....