Complaint Review: TXU Energy

• Updated: Wed, April 07, 2010

• Reported By: Grace — Streetman Texas United States of America
TXU Energy
P.O. Box 650638 Dallas, Texas United States of America

TXU Energy Ripping me off my electric went from $150.00 amonth to $400.00 a month after installing new meter Dallas, Texas

*Consumer Comment: Oncor installed the meter

I bought my home in Streetman, Tx. Dec. 2008. The house had the old style electric meter.  Nov. 2009 TXU replaced the meter with there digital meter and my electric bill has almost trippled! It went from $150.00 to to over $350.00!! When I called to complain about this they told me the meter was tested in March of 2008. And working fine. When I asked what house because I had the old style meter he could not or would answer. Then he told me if I wanted the meter tested it would cost me another $130.00 . On top of the high electric bill I have. I stated again that this meter was put in Nov. 2009. Why was it not tested? No answer. Now if the meter was replaced March 2008, the previous owners had a working shop why did they only replace one of the meters? I did not turn the meter on in the shop so they did not replace it in Nov. 2009. They have no answers. I would gladly sign up for a class action suit. This is crazy.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/07/2010 07:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TXU-Energy/Dallas-Texas-75265/TXU-Energy-Ripping-me-off-my-electric-went-from-15000-amonth-to-40000-a-month-after-i-590714. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TXU Energy

Oncor installed the meter

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

Not TXU

Here is an article from www.wfaa.com

DALLAS Ree Wattner stands at the head of the movement questioning the accuracy of new "smart" electric meters being installed across North Texas.

Her first step was to call the state agency overseeing power companies, the Public Utility Commission. She filed what she thought was a formal complaint.

"They assured us that we had a complaint," Wattner said.

Later, however, she learned that her call wasn't classified as a "complaint," but rather as an "inquiry" a less severe category where nearly 600 smart meter calls have been filed.

"I know our complaint thought it was a complaint turned out to be an inquiry," Wattner said. "It was opened one day and closed the same day, so I have no idea what they're doing."

How that call gets classified matters, because it determines how much attention that particular case gets.

Formal complaints get extra reviews, where a staffer may, in some cases, intervene and suggest the utility not shut off a customer's power until the conflict can be resolved.

Wattner hoped filing complaints would buy consumers who are struggling with unexpectedly high power bills more time.

"I've got people calling me all the time and saying, 'What am I going to do about my utilities? How am I going to pay my electric bill?' We thought we had a solution to it with the PUC, but we don't and it's very frustrating," Wattner said.

The PUC says it is taking all complaints extremely seriously, and is even launching its own investigation into the smart meters controversy.

But he agency says specific cases must have clear evidence of wrongdoing to merit a formal complaint.

The PUC insists that customers who receive a disconnect notice do get more attention, but even as the state questions the smart meters, regulators say the message, for now, is: Keep paying

so contact the PUC with your complaint