• Report: #1901

• Submitted: Fri, March 31, 2000
  • Updated: Sat, April 09, 2005

• Reported By:Clearwater FL
Total Merchant Services
100 Elk Run Drive Suite# 225 Basalt, Colorado U.S.A.

Sold Same Service Twice, No Refunds after 7 days!!

*Consumer Suggestion: Has this been resolved? ..always read your contracts and refund policies before buying anything.

Charge.Com sold me "equipment and software" to set up a Merchant Account I use on the web. As it developed, the 'software' falls far far short of my needs, and I moved quickly to replace it.

Total Merchant Services sold me "equipment and software" to set up a new Merchant Account for use on the web. As it developed, when I tried to get the new account set up, I discovered that the "equipment and software" were identical to Charge.Com's package.

Turns out Charge.Com is a reseller for Total Merchant Services. TMS was aware that the packages were identical, but promised me better service than Charge.Com Administration at TMS admitted that I did not have to pay for the pacakage again, but will not remit the $ 1,200.00 debited directly from my Checking Account, quoting the 7 days return request in writing, window policy. My position is, since I have received NOTHING for that payment, there is no legally binding contract. They have robbed me.

So I have an e-commerce pacakge that is practically unusable, and worse, that I have paid TWICE for, a total of $ 2,300.00 Help?

Regards,
Art Morgan Image Styling

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/31/2000 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Total-Merchant-Services/Basalt-Colorado-81621/Sold-Same-Service-Twice-No-Refunds-after-7-days-1901. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Total Merchant Services

#1 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Marshall - (U.S.A.)

This issue was originally posted years ago. As a note to consumers, always read your contracts and refund policies before buying anything. TMS has a clear, and detailed description of their products located on the website from which this merchant purchased it. They also clearly name the software and gateway used.

The refund really should have come from Charge.com, since they setup a service that he cancelled right away. After he signed up and purchased the software and gateway setup from TMS, they are not liable for his original purchase from charge.com. Think about it, if I buy something from Target and don't like it so I take it back, then go to Wal-Mart and buy the same thing unwittingly, who would I get a refund from? Presumably, I realized that I didn't like the product and returned it according to Target's refund policies. If not, then as soon as I realized my error, I would return it to Wal-Mart according to their refund policies.

Apparently this individual made the same mistake twice; he bought something he didn't know about and didn't like, but didn't pay attention to or abide by the return policies of a product/service costing over $1000! Why didn't they research the second product after hating the first one that they spent $1200 on and didn't get their money back for?

Also, Charge.com is not a reseller for TMS nor affiliated with them in any other way. In fact, they are competitors that represent different banks, front-end authorization hosts, and back-end settlement facilities. Perhaps that was not the case when this occurred, but I have never known these companies to work together on any level. The merchant most likely paid them to setup a gateway such as Authorize.net or Verisign. Both Charge.com and TMS are resellers for these types of gateways, as am I and are thousands of others. The product is probably more capable than this merchant could ever imagine or require, but he most likely spent as much time working with it or integrating to his website as he did researching what he was paying $1200 for twice.

I hope we can all learn from these mistakes.