• Report: #191605

• Submitted: Mon, May 15, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, May 16, 2006

• Reported By:Aurora Colorado
United Auto
592 S Broadway St Denver, Colorado U.S.A.

United Auto ripoff for minor "repair" Denver Colorado

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: I don't think so

*Consumer Comment: Christine, he wasn't ripping you off, he was doing you a favor.

On May 12 my passenger side car window on a Nissan Quest 01 did not want to go up again after airing the car on a hot spring day. I proceeded to United Auto (car was there before) and arrived at about 4:30PM Fri afternoon. I was told that somebody would be with me shortly (10min: their words). I am 9 months pregnant and had my toddler in tow (neither their fault, I agree). So I waited while trying to entertain my son. After about 1 hour and 15 min a mechanic finally looked at the car. He checked the fuses (functioning) and then took off the panel to the door. It was obvious (even to me) that somebody had badly patched a problem (I bought the car used, again, not their problem). He then, with the help of a battery, started the window motor and got the window up. He left the switch to the window unconnected (upon my request) and replaced the door panel.

My complaint is that he then told me that 50$ cash would do it (for 10 maybe 15 minutes of work and nothing fixed!). If I wanted it charged to my credit card (or check) it would be $120. So, being extremely pregnant/uncomfortable/having Braxton-Hicks contractions (uncomfortable, but not real labor) I just wanted to get out, so I paid up. Clearly they took advantage of me (shortly past 6PM, cranky toddler and tired pregnant woman).

Since I don't even have a receipt it does not make sense to me to talk to them again about this.Needless to say I won't take my car to them ever again.

Christine
Aurora, Colorado

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/15/2006 01:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Auto/Denver-Colorado-80209/United-Auto-ripoff-for-minor-repair-Denver-Colorado-191605. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Auto

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

I don't think so

AUTHOR: Christine - (U.S.A.)

Thank you very much for the vote of confidence in my intelligence. As I have studied Applied Physics I think I could follow his information.

Charging $50 just to diagnose a problem (within a 10 to 15 minute time frame) is not okay. Not getting a bill is not okay.

I strongly suggest you loose your macho attitude towards women and cars.

Christine, he wasn't ripping you off, he was doing you a favor.

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

He was probrably going to take the fifty bucks and simply stick it in his pocket for his time, off the books. When you wanted to charge it, it became a whole new animal and he was going to have to show his time on paper.

There was no way he could have properly "fixed" your window for that much, he simply jury-rigged it to get you home that day. I recently paid almost six hundred dollars to fix a window, they are very costly to repair and take some time. Actually it's more "replace expensive parts" instead of fixing anything. He didn't explain it all to you because you wouldn't have understood him anyways.