Complaint Review: University of Phoenix

• Updated: Tue, August 09, 2011

• Reported By: Samij08 — Monroeville Alabama United States of America
University of Phoenix
4635 east elwood street Internet United States of America

University of Phoenix Do Not Use Them"False Power of Attorney" Internet, Internet

*Consumer Comment: comment

*Consumer Comment: University of Phoenix Financial Complaint

First of all I would like to start off by stating that UOP is a joke, i wanted to go to school for nursing  in 2007 so i contacted  them to see my options i had what i thought was a great financial advisor Jeff, I e-signed paperwork for inrolling in classes, I like many others, was told that i would get back money from the goverment to go to school, and so would they and my pell grant would cover my classes 100%....Well i thought wow how could this be, and  I did  like so many others i started my classes, and they were perty easy i took 4 classes on line, and i receive a call from Jeff my FA, telling me that i owed them 73.oo to start my new set of classes, i told him, that in the beginning he told me that all of my schooling wold be covered by pell grant..He said he would check it out and get back up with me...Well needless to say he never called back, but i did anage to start getting an over load of harrassing phone calls telling me to pay the 73.00 so I could strt my next set of classes..That's when things started to get reall weird....I plainly told one of the many ladies that I woud no longer be attending the school, not because I did not want to pay the 73.00 but because I was old my pell grant covered all of it, until I refilled...So about a year goes by and we are looking at fall of 08, and I start getting payment notice's from Sallie Mae, so once again I call to speak with my FA Jeff, well noone has ever worked there named Jeff, and they told me to just dis regard the Sallie Mae paperwork...so month, and months, go by and each month, i get a bill and i politley return it to Sallie Mae, untill fall of 09 and they stop all together... So I figure well they must have gotten things straightened out.....

This is were it gets just plain out wonderful....I get a phone call at work, from a lady stating that, my account has been turned over to a collection agency, because I gave UOP power of attorney to apply for loans in my name to pay for my schooling, and I tell the lady I olny took 4 classes, and asked how much I owed Supposivley, well she said with late fees and your loans it is 6900.00 dollars, I then am 9 months pregnant and busrt into tears with the lady on the phone, and tell her I am going through a divorce and could not possible start paying monthly payments of 103.00 to them... So she tells me that if i dont pay atleast 103.00 a month, they will garnish my wages, I tell her  I want to see were I sighned the paperwork giving UOP power of attorney, and she states she  will mail it to me so i give them my new address and wait..then I immediatley try getting in touch with UOP and  get nothing, they tell me that it is out of there hands and they can not release anything to me....

So a few weeks later I get a packet in the mail hoping it is the proof that I did not give anyone  power of attorney, well it was not paperwork clearing me of anything instead it is paperwork wanting me to consolidate my loan... So I called them back, and told her the paperwork i got was not what i requested, and she said yes it was, and argued with me for 10 minutes...So needless to say I could not get anywere with anyone.....SO the wonderful 2011 tax season rolls around, yea i got a perty good check coming...Well that swhat I thought anyway..and guess what The Goverment took it, and there is nothing I can do....So THANKS UOP yall are wonderful...NOT!!!!! I HOPE this helps any and everyone.... I am seeking legal action now against them...so have a wonderful day..

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/07/2011 02:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/University-of-Phoenix/internet/University-of-Phoenix-Do-Not-Use-ThemFalse-Power-of-Attorney-Internet-Internet-762173. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on University of Phoenix

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

My guess is that a lawsuit won't get you anywhere. Here's what I think happened.... somewhere in all that paperwork you signed electronically was a form that authorized the acceptance of student loans.  So UofP will say you owe the money because you signed for the loans.

These online schools rush students through the enrollment and paperwork because they're trying to capitalize on your excitement of making a better life for yourself, and the promise of the excess grant/loan money.  It rarely works out that way.  If you look at the cost of attendance and the amount of Pell grant you were awarded, you'll see that there is still going to be a balance due that's your responsibility.

I hope your post serves as a warning to others.  I know you're beating yourself up over this already, but let me point out to you and others how to avoid this in the future.

Your first mistake was enrolling BEFORE the financials were worked out. Students should never enroll until they receive a Financial Aid Award Letter from the school.  This will outline your terms of enrollment, the costs (tuition, fees), what Pell grant you've been awarded, and what student loans you've applied for. You can accept or reject the loans.  If the school wants you to enroll before you have a clear understanding of the financials, RUN!!

Second, you didn't read everything you signed.  The recruiters try to rush you through. Don't let them!!  Read everything carefully!! Somewhere in that paperwork you probably agreed to the loans.

Third, don't ever ignore letters or phone calls from Sallie Mae. DO NOT rely on the schools to provide the information you need. Talk directly to the lender. There are several options available to students who can't repay their loans right away that would've allowed you to keep your tax refund. Forebearances and deferments are the usual options.

Please call Sallie Mae and get this worked out.  If they send you to collections it'll destroy your credit and prevent you from ever getting another student loan again.

University of Phoenix Financial Complaint

AUTHOR: Jack - (USA)

There are groups that can help you.  Did you keep records of all the financial paperwork you signed for the grant?  It sounds like they gave you a student loan rather than a grant. It sounds like your complaint is more about the University of Phoenix Financial Department than the University of Phoenix academics.  You could adjust your withholding on your W-4 so that you aren't due a refund when you go to file your IRS Form 1040 Personal Income Tax Return. Just be careful that you don't adjust it so much that you get a tax debt.  If you owe any money to a government agency (like Sallie Mae), they will keep your tax refund.