Complaint Review: Wordsmart

Wordsmart
10025 Mesa Rim Rd San Diego, California United States of America

Wordsmart Deceptive scam San Diego, California

*UPDATE Employee: WordSmart return policy and reply

I am embarrassed to be writing this because I'm been around the block and was suspicious that it was a scam.  The salesman represented that the courses would improve all SAT scores, not just reading and writing.

I was hesitant to buy it because my son was away at school, but the salesman assured me several times that the 30 day return policy didn't start until I sent in the activation code.  That made sense to me because it was only a CD which cost them $0.25 to manufacture.  The expense is in the software development which is only of value if its used.   When my son finally got a chance to look at it he felt he didn't need it because it was mainly for reading.  We never opened the package and certainly didn't activate it.

Guest what?  Times up, no refund!  They could look up my account and tell me when it was ordered but the fact that it was never used didn't matter.  Can you think of and reputable merchant that would not take back unused merchandise even if its a few days passed 30 days.  Most will take it back after 90 if it's in resalable condition.

I can just imagine trying to satisfy their conditions to get a refund because the SAT score didn't increase.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/04/2012 05:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Wordsmart/San-Diego-California-92121/Wordsmart-Deceptive-scam-San-Diego-California-818027. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Wordsmart

WordSmart return policy and reply

AUTHOR: Faith - (United States of America)

Mr. Gary, on behalf of WordSmart I am sorry that you were unhappy with your purchase. Our products are sent for a 30 day trial that starts upon delivery of the item, not upon activation of the CD. We do this because it simply wouldnt make sense for the trial to be based on the CDs activation. That would mean our product could be at someones home for months or years and then still be returned. Like most businesses, our return policy is based on the time that goes by while the customer is in possession of our product. Since your complaint states that you were told otherwise I encourage you to contact our customer service department at 1-800-641-9673 so we can review your sales call. If we find that our sales person said anything other then that the trial starts upon delivery we would be happy to refund you for your WordSmart order.

In response to your comment that the fact that we uphold our return policy makes us disreputable I must respectfully disagree with you. We have the right to a return policy like any other company, and as long as the time period was explained clearly, of course, we are going to go by what you agreed to in your recorded phone call. If you would like a different product sent to you at no charge we would be happy to do that, exchanges are always an option. But a refund is granted only within the time period agreed to. When you purchase something at a retail outlet if the receipt states a 30 day return policy and you try to return the item after that 30 days has passed that item is not refundable. Our company is the same.

We do not want our customers to be unhappy and if we confirm anything was done incorrectly during the sales call we will fix the situation. But if we confirm that the customer was informed of a trial period and they passed that trial period we have to hold to our company return policy.

Again, if Mr. Gary would like his sales call reviewed please call customer service at 1-800-641-9673. If any other WordSmart customer has a question about their account or our policy we encourage you to call us as well. We are available until 5 PM PST every business day.

WordSmart Corporation