Complaint Review: DELL Computers

• Submitted: Fri, January 15, 2010
  • Updated: Sat, January 23, 2010
  • Reported By: Wendy — Astoria New York U.S.A.
  • DELL Computers
    1 Dell Way
    Round Rock, Texas
    United States of America

My computer crashed - I was getting a lot of error messages (this after having spent money with Dell in the past 30days for software issues) and Dell sent me a CD. What they didn't tell me was that they deleted my files when Iwe called up technical support. They actually didn't readily volunteer that information until we asked and then the person I spoke to acted like it was no big deal. This when I had hundreds of important files saved for my business. If he had told me upfront and I had known there would have been someone I could have gone to for data recovery.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/15/2010 11:58 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/dell-computers/round-rock-texas-78882/dell-computers-deleted-my-computer-files-without-telling-me-round-rock-texas-555061. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
3Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Do not expect good service from big companies

AUTHOR: Doc - (U.S.A.)

Find a local consultant who values your business and will work to salvage your data files. None of the big companies, dell, hp, best buy, geek squad will EVER Take the needed time to do good custom work and save files to CD before reloading your system. Live and learn.

Good local consultants can be found via a computer club. BEcome a member of one near you.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

It's called backing up.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (U.S.A.)

"This when I had hundreds of important files saved for my business."

The time to worry about important files is not after something goes wrong.  With today's technology, it's very easy to regularly back up important files on to a relatively inexpensive external drive, or even a thumb drive.

Computer hard drives can crash at any time without warning.   If you have only one copy of your important files and they're sitting on a hard drive, you are needlesly risking your data and your business.

A great many fixes for computer crashes involve reformatting a drive, which deletes all files.  I agree that the tech probably should have told you that the files were going to get wiped.   Most repair places have standard language in their contracts that explicity tell you that you may lose everything on the drive.

Going forward, regularly backing up your valuable files will make this a non-issue.  If you keep up your current practice, it's just a matter of time before it happens again.

#3 General Comment

All is not lost

AUTHOR: Rob - (United States of America)

Hi im Rob i do computer repairs

all is not lost, i have tools that can do a deep sector by sector scan of your hard drive and Retrieve the lost files. formatting just hides the files until that sector becomes overwritten later on