Report: #1020325

• Reported By: dn****976 — Fairbanks Alaska United States of America
  • Instant Checkmate

Las Vegas, Nevada
    United States of America

Instant Checkmate-- RIPOFF! Steal info and bill you fraudulently. STAY AWAY!! Las Vegas, Nevada

*Author of original report: Updated interaction with Checkmate

Instant Checkmate took my info for a one-time background check, supposedly a one-time charge of $22.86. I just realized they have debited my account each month since the initial service. They are accessing my account monthly.

When I went to the site to stop this recurring payment there is NO way to access it online. You have no "My Account" or "Edit Payment Info" etc. They clearly set the site up to prevent you form stopping their fraudulent charges. Their email is listed near the bottom spelled out, so that if you do not fix it before sending then it will bounce back.

I thought I checked this company out but they are clearly NOT a legitimate site. They should have been shut down by now. At best, they are deceptive. At  worst, they are criminal and involved in illegal; practices.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/26/2013 01:28 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/instant-checkmate/las-vegas-nevada-/instant-checkmate-ripoff-steal-info-and-bill-you-fraudulently-stay-away-las-vegas-n-1020325. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
0Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Updated interaction with Checkmate

AUTHOR: dn****976 - (United States of America)

Finally talked with these guys. When I stated that I wanted a full refund the guy got snappy and said it was all there in fine print and that it was my problem if I "just checked away" without reading. He was referring to "3 boxes you have to check that say it right there". Sure enough there  are 3 boxes but the info is not "right there".

I read back through the terms of use and sure enough, it says all plans are recurring. He tried to convince me I have the great benefit of access to reports until the end of March, so I explained that all I ever wanted was 1 report so clearly they are doing me no favors. So, they will not refund any money but promise that no further payments will be extracted.

I am very irritated with this company. While it seems that they are technically in the right, their practices are misleading, rather questionable and they make it hard for you to stop these payments. I still suggest staying away from this company.Be leery!!