Complaint Review: Starion Energy

• Starion Energy
    220 Main St S Ste 206
    Southbury, Connecticut
    USA

Starion Energy 800-600-3040 predatory, ambush business practices; refuse to correct their blatantly outrageous behavior Southbury Connecticut

In May of 2013 I signed up with Starion Energy for electricity for my home. It was indicated to me that the rate per kilowatt of electricity would be locked for six months; and then would switch to the market rate. I live in Maryland, which generally tries to protect consumer rights, and prevent abusive business practices. Therefore I am used to a certain standard of business behavior.

I was therefore quite surprised when in the first days of January 2014 I received the latest bill from Starion, in which the rate per kilowatt practically doubled. My bill subsequently went up very substantially, without any customary advanced notice, which caught me totally by surprise. When I called Starion customer support to try to alleviate the situation, and request the credit for the overcharge - I was not treated well at all, being put on hold numerous times for stretches of up to 45 minutes. I was then promised to receive a call back, for which I waited for hours on end beyond the promised timeframe.

Ultimately, I was able to get through to a service rep, who put me on hold a couple more times for the final 45 minutes, and than I spoke with a gentleman who appeared to be in some kind of position of authority - who refused to honor my request for a credit.

To this unsatisfied customer - this smacks of classic scams of ambush, and bait and switch. These are unsavory and predatory business practices, which were quite rife in the past; until Maryland diligently and consistently cracked down on the practitioners of them. Looks like another one managed to escape the scrutiny.

I would definitely expect a notification beforehand, which would forewarn me of the new impending rate change, and give me a chance to react accordingly. I am planning to raise this issue with Maryland consumer protection agencies, and my local representatives.

Beware, and stay away - there are numerous alternatives around with much more honesty, and less hassle for you afterward.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/13/2014 01:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/starion-energy/southbury-connecticut-06488/starion-energy-800-600-3040-predatory-ambush-business-practices-refuse-to-correct-their-1115195. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content