Complaint Review: Circuit City

• Submitted: Fri, December 12, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, December 13, 2008

• Reported By:Cleburne Texas
Circuit City
9950 Maryland Dr Richmond, Virginia U.S.A.

Circuit City Beware of Circuit City "Going Out of Business" stores, they are not Circuit City Richmond Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Unfortunate but true.

*Consumer Comment: Common...

We needed a new receiver for out TV and theater system and last Saturday went shopping to find one. Our first stop was going to be Best Buy, but there is a Circuit City right there too. Since it was going out of business we thought maybe they would have a good buy. Our 1st mistake. Little did we know just because Circuit City is on the sign doesn't mean it is. Later I find out about this.
We go in and they only have a few receivers left and one is in the box, I ask if we can open it and the salesman says no, my question then was how would we know anything about the receiver without doing this. I told him we needed one with surround sound and the center speaker. He assured me this one would work, an Onkyo TX8555. We thought the price was good and naive people we are bought it.
We got it home and found out the lie the salesman told us. This was not surround sound and had no outlet for a center speaker. This is where we start finding more of the deception. I look this receiver on the internet (something we should have done at the start) and find Circuit City also marked this up to mark it down. They have the highest price on this of anyone and the sale price is not even close to being the lowest. I call the store..they won't even talk to me, the I start the Circuit City 800 number and of course get someone who knows no English other than the script they have been taught to read. These people have no respect for the customer! I am told that I have no recourse since Circuit City doesn't own the "Going Out of Business" sales, the liquidator owns them. I thought this was illeagal, but I guess not. I also thought the mark up to mark down was illegal.
Buyer Beware!!! Let's hope this bankruptcy will take all the stores out or make them become a more reputable company.

Marilyn
Cleburne, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/12/2008 09:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Circuit-City/Richmond-Virginia/Circuit-City-Beware-of-Circuit-City-Going-Out-of-Business-stores-they-are-not-Circuit-C-400879. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Circuit City

Unfortunate but true.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Most, if not all, going out of business sales are handled by a liquidation company. This is one of the rare cases where the liquidating business is not liable under the UCC for sales and in fact when "all sales are final."

It's unfortunate that you didn't READ the box. This unit is clearly marked as a 2 channel high fedelity receiver (not a surround sound amplifier.)

Common...

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

This has happened a number of times with stores close in my area.

When Tower Records declared bankruptcy, the store was taken over by liquidators. The same thing happened when the local OfficeMax shut down as well as a couple of furniture stores. I have no doubt that the local Mervyn's has been taken over by liquidators.

When a liquidator takes over, they want to maximize their revenue like any other business. Markups in retail happen, go take a look at the jewelry industry and their 'sales'.

Not really a ripoff, just not a particularly good deal for the buyer.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC