Complaint Review: T-mobile

• Submitted: Thu, May 03, 2012
  • Updated: Thu, May 03, 2012

• Reported By: Jack — Purcellville Virginia United States of America
T-mobile

T-mobile cannot offer service in the area where I recently moved, but will not let me out of the contract without paying a 400 dollar fee, Internet

*Consumer Comment: An easy solution. I have been there and done that.

My family has been loyal T-mobile customers for several (over eight) years, and have put up with lousy service several times.  I move frequently for my job and we have had problems before when living in Virginia.  For two years in Williamsburg, Va. we had to walk about 100 yards from our house to make a phone call.  Now we are living in Purcellville Va. and cannot make a call from our house, or anywhere near it.  We asked them to see if they could ameliorate the problem.

they looked into it and decided that was not possible.  I then asked if they could split the disconnect charges with us, since we had just moved into an area with no/no service.  Even though, we dod not live in the wilderness - - Verizon has great coverage here and we even have a Verizon air card for our internet.  T-mobile refused to give us any break at all, and want to charge us $400.00 to drop service.  We will move again, and it might be into an area with great T-mobile coverage - - but now I will never accept T-mobile coverage again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/03/2012 09:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/T-mobile/internet/T-mobile-cannot-offer-service-in-the-area-where-I-recently-moved-but-will-not-let-me-out-877727. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on T-mobile

An easy solution. I have been there and done that.

AUTHOR: Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - (USA)

I know for a fact that T-Mobile will eventually waive the early termination fee when you move into a no service area, as I have done it.

You have to be persistent, and you have to stop "asking" and start demanding either they terminate without any fees, or they provide you the service you are paying for. They cannot legally charge you for service you are not getting. Tell them you will be filing written complaints with the FCC, FTC, etc..And also let them know you will take them to court if needed.

You must keep moving up the food chain as the first 3 or 4 levels of reps you talk to cannot actually do anything.

When you call in, you also must select the proper dept from the menu. Be sure to select the option for "cancel your service" as this gets you to a "retention" supervisor much quicker. Get names of anyone you talk to. That would be first and last and/or first and employee id #.

Another thing you can do if you don't want to get that aggressive is just do a "seasonal suspension" on the account and open a Verizon acct at the same time. Then when you move again, you may have a backup plan!

In either case, they cannot charge you a monthly fee for something you are not getting. No service, no bill. It really is that simple unless they can document that you have recieved something of value to justify the contract. Based on what you wrote, it tells me that being with them 8 years and still on contract, that you continuously upgrade to the newest equipment.

FREE isn't really free.