Report: #1503718

Complaint Review: Cross Country Moving Group - Delray Beack 301 W Atlantic Ave #0-5

  • Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Michael — Venice Florida United States
  • Cross Country Moving Group FL Delray Beack, 301 W Atlantic Ave #0-5 United States

Cross Country Moving Group Late pickup and extremely late delivery. Delray Beack 301 W Atlantic Ave #0-5

Show customers why they should trust your business over your competitors...

Is this
Report about YOU
listed on other sites?
Those sites steal
Ripoff Report's
We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
Ripoff Report
If your business is
willing to make a
commitment to
customer satisfaction
Click here now..

I first spoke with Colin, a dispatch manager for Cross Country Moving Group (561-560-7003) on 10/30/20.

I asked him various questions including whether the movers load and unload the truck from Indianapolis to Florida as I heard several movers do and there’s more of a chance things will get damaged. He told me they don’t and with a house of our size, 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath, it would go to the new address in 3 days (they can only do 500 miles/day legally) and they can keep it on the truck up to a few days before they would have to put it in storage. He said the contract allows for 2 to 14 days (due to weather, accidents, etc), but has never seen it take more than 5 to 6 days in his 12 years there.

We had our house listed on Zillow, so Colin was able to see every room in the house and all the furniture we had except the basement, which I told him we had a sofa, chair, ottoman, filing cabinet, and approximately 150 boxes/tubs. He gave me a quote of $4076 and said it would be more/less depending on how much difference in cubic feet was used.

I asked for a moving date of 11/29/20 and he said there is a 2 day window so the 29th or 30th, but the 29th should not be a problem, just call a week ahead of time which I did.

I received a call on 11/24 advising me the movers would be there on the 30th by 9am. I asked if there was any way they could do the 29th like I requested since the new tenants (we are renting our house in Indiana) would be moving in on the 1st of December and we would still need to clean after the movers left. They said they would try but doubt it would happen.

On 11/30/20, we had not heard anything from the movers. I tried calling the number I was given, (Kelly 973-814-4236) but could not reach anyone until noon. When I did finally reach Kelly, she told me the drivers were still in Wisconsin. Well, it’s at least a 4 hour drive from the closest point in Wisconsin to our house in Indiana. So at what point did they not realize they couldn’t be there by 9am?  They should have known by 4am CST they wouldn’t be here and at least made a courtesy call. After trying to get updates all day, I was told by Kelly they would be there that night to load.

I knew she had to be lying as there was no way the movers would load a house in Wisconsin, drive 4+ hours to our house, and then load the truck with our things. It just wasn’t going to happen, but she told me they would. I spoke with Kelly again later that evening and she told me the movers would be stopping in Indiana to sleep, but “promised me” they would be there between 7 and 8 am on 12/1, which is the day the renters were scheduled to move in. I told her they had to be here and done by noon as the truck for the renters would be here at 3 pm and we still had to clean the house.

She said it should only take about 4-5 hours to load the truck. I was told by Colin when when I was booking the move in October, they would send 4 to 5 movers and it would take about 6 hours. At 7 am there was no truck and no phone call from the movers like they said they would. At 7:33 I texted Kelly and asked if she had any idea where they were since I still hadn’t heard anything. She replied at 7:50 to tell me she would call them. I texted her at 8:13, 8:27, and 8:37. She finally replied and told me she was getting ready for work and would call now. That’s what she told me at 7:50, 47 minutes earlier. I texted her again at 8:59, 22 minutes later and she said she had to get in touch with the dispatch manager as their phone was turned off.

A few minutes after 9, they finally showed up, never having called us. They also showed up with only 3 movers and a truck that looked like it wasn’t going to be big enough, but I’m not a mover, so I figured they would know how to load it to make it all fit. I also asked the three movers separately if they were in Wisconsin the night before as the truck was empty. Each of them said they weren’t. The lead mover said they had just been called that morning to do the job. I asked Kelly about this and she said they were lying as they probably didn’t want me yelling at them. So clearly, someone was lying.

When they came in, there was a hand truck that was delivered via FedEx a few days earlier and it was still in our dining room in the box with the renters name on it. The movers decided to take it out of the box and use it. I have no idea what made them think it was for them or what right they had to take it out of the box without even asking. I don’t think they even had one of their own and have no idea how they were going to move a lot of the boxes or furniture without one. After 3 hours of moving things out of the house, they weren’t even close to being done. I had to contact the renters to let them know I didn’t think they would be done before their movers arrived. They made arrangements to have them come the next morning and I had to pay their hotel costs for 2 rooms as they have 5 children and were expecting to move in on the 1st.

At 6pm, the lead mover gave me an updated quote of $6400, well above the $4076 original quote. We thought it might be a little more if we underestimated the amount of boxes, but we did sell a dining room table with 6 chairs, a mirror, accent table, coffee table and two end tables, as well as a breakfast table, six chairs, 2 bar stools, and a sofa, so that was a good amount of cubic feet not being utilized.

At 8:30 pm, the lead mover told me they didn’t have enough space on the truck and had to get another one. Originally, he was going to come back that night, but about 15 mins later he told me they would have to come back in the morning. I told him we needed the rest of our things out of the house and put in the garage and we would give them the garage door code as we still needed to clean the house and drive our cars to Florida for our closing. Before leaving, the lead mover gave me another updated quote which had now gone to $9768.99. I had already paid 1/3 of the initial deposit when I booked it, so now they needed 1/2 of the difference. There wasn’t much I could do as he had most of our belongings in the driveway and on the sidewalk.

If I didn’t pay them, they could have just left while leaving everything of ours outside. After they left, we found their trash all over. They left over a dozen partly used rolls of tape throughout the house, an energy drink in our dining room, one in the driveway, a large styrofoam drink cup shoved into one of our bushes, various trash on the lawn, and two pizza boxes, one with a couple chicken wings and one with breadsticks, left in our trash can, which I’m sure would have smelt nice for the new renters when they arrived.

I then had to call the renters once again and tell them our movers still had to come back in the morning and load everything that they had put in the garage. The renters had to contact their moving company and they were told they couldn’t get their things into the house until 12/3, so I had to pay for another couple of hotel rooms.  My wife, daughter, and I didn’t get out of the house until nearly midnight and had to get a hotel nearby as we couldn’t do the 5.5 hour drive after having been up since 6 am waiting for them to arrive. I also lost the hotel room I booked in Murfreesboro, TN as it was past the cancellation time and that’s where we were expecting to be that night. So instead of taking 3 days at 5+ hours a day of driving, we now had to make the trip in 2 days with 8+ hours of driving per day.

The lead mover told me the night of the 1st they would be there at 7am on the 2nd to get the remaining items in the garage. My daughter and I stopped by the house at 9 am since our hotel was only about 15 mins away. We opened the garage only to find nothing had been moved. After several attempts to contact the movers, they finally answered and said one of movers hadn’t shown up. We couldn’t stay as we still had a long drive ahead of us and had to get to Florida for the closing on our house. We also had to contact the title company in Florida to see if they could move our original scheduled closing on the 3rd to the 4th. Fortunately, they were able to accommodate us. I received a call around 11 am from the movers saying they had finally moved everything from the garage to the truck and were leaving. The lead mover also said they would be heading to Florida and asked me when I wanted my things moved into the new house. I told him we had closing at 1pm on the 4th so, anytime from 3pm or later would be fine or the next morning if it was too late for them.

I called Kelly several times the day of closing to find out where the movers were and when they would be arriving. I finally was able to get in touch with her that afternoon and she told me she didn’t know where they were or when they would arrive. She could only tell me the window was 2-14 days. I said that as a dispatcher, she would have to know where the truck is. After placing me on hold, she told me the truck went to Michigan to one of their warehouses. She told me she would give me an update on 12/7. I tried calling and texting starting the morning of the 7th, but there was no answer, except for an answering machine, and no reply from any of my texts or voicemails.

On 12/8/20 I called the next dispatch number I was given when I did a Google search for the company because all attempts at the previous number went unanswered and not returned. I was told I’d be given an update on 12/10/20. What a surprise, no one called. I called them and was told my furniture would be loaded on 12/16/20 and delivered by 12/18 or 12/19. I had been told repeatedly after they picked up the furniture that they have a 2 to 14 day window. When I told her the the 18th would be beyond that window, she then proceeded to tell me that it’s 2 to 14 business days. I told her no one had ever said that and her response was “most people forget to say that.”  Nowhere in the contract does it state 2 to 14 “business days.”  It only states 2 to 14 days.

I called several times on 12/16 to verify my furniture was still going to be loaded, but once again no answer or returned calls. I called the main number and they were somehow able to get in touch with them and get an update. Surprise, surprise, I was now told it would be there between Saturday 12/19 and Monday 12/21. Now it will be 3 weeks.

I spoke with Cross Country Moving Group at 9am on Monday, 12/21, as that was the latest date for arrival as they didn’t show up or call on the 19th or 20th. They told me to call back in an hour as no one will be in the dispatch office until 10am. Really???? Well, I’ll bet you can’t guess what I was told when I called back. But then again, maybe you can. Now I’m being told it will be delivered after Christmas. I was also told they will no longer be using this company (whoever they subcontract it to) as they have not been reliable. So I guess I was just one of the lucky ones they decided to use.

I called Cross Country Moving Group on 12/26 at 10 am to see if there was an update. I called the main number and reached what I believe was an answering service. She told me she would pass on the information and have someone call me. I received a text from Jillian that was quite rude. She texted that I should call the office on Monday for an update.

My wife called on Monday, 12/28/20 as they requested. She spoke with Jillian and she advised my wife that dispatch is now saying delivery is expected between Friday and Monday (1/1/21 and 1/4/21).  Not only did they arrive after the scheduled pickup date on 11/30/20, they will now be delivering beyond the 21 days in the contract and well beyond the 2-14 days we were originally told.

For the first week we didn’t even stay in our new home as we were expecting the furniture to arrive, so we had to pay for hotel rooms. After a week of staying in hotel rooms, I decided to rent 2 beds from Rent a Center and get an air mattress so we could at least sleep in our house and stop paying for the hotel rooms. We also had to get pots and pans, utensils, cups and plates, etc for cooking as the movers had ours and we were constantly having to order takeout food.

I spoke with Kelly at 11am on 1/4/21 looking for an update as our furniture was not delivered yet again as promised. She told me it would be delivered on either 1/7 or 1/8 and to call back on the 5th to confirm, but she would see if they could get it to us by the 7th as she knows we’ve been waiting a long time.

Called Kelly again on 1/5 like she asked to get  an update. She said the truck was being loaded as we speak (not sure if I believe that). I said “Well, if it’s being loaded as we speak, then the earliest it will be delivered is Friday,” to which she said “Yes,” and would call me later today to with more details on the delivery. She also said their was no excuse and wanted to make ours a priority as it will have been 38 days if they deliver on Friday. Then she proceeded to give excuses such as they were busy, didn’t have the trucks, drivers on vacation, etc. I said there is no excuse for 38 days. Once again she failed to call back with an update, so in had to call before they closed and she told me the furniture was loaded and I would get a call the day before delivery.

The movers finally called today, 1/8/21, and told me they would be at the house around 9am on 1/9. I called Kelly back as she asked to discuss compensation. She said said she talk to the higher ups and get back to me me in an hour. Well, 4 hours later I had to call back as she lied about getting back to once again. She said the company was prepared to offer me $100 for them showing up a day late and not finishing until 2 days late as well as going 9 days beyond the 30 in the contract. She then tried to tell me they have 30 “business days.”  The lies she tells just keep coming. First 2-14, then 21, and finally 30 days.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/08/2021 07:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/report/cross-country-moving-group/delray-beack-w-atlantic-ave-1503718. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

Search for additional reports

If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:

Report & Rebuttal
Respond to this report!
What's this?
Also a victim?
What's this?
Repair Your Reputation!
What's this?

Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair
Free speech rights compromised

Segment Now