We have just returned from a vacation nightmare at BROWN MOUNTAIN LODGE, in NC. When we arrived, having driven 9 hours, to this "home" we thought it was an abandoned home and that we were in the wrong place!
There was LARGE cracks and uneven pathways to the front door where we found a filthy door and LARGE web covered bushes, on entering this house we were hit with the most putrid smell - it can only be described as something between rotting wood, house-a-tosis, and cheap perfume.
When we turned on the lights to look around - we were horrified!!!!!! Someone had just left the property that day after staying there and there were cobwebs and dust on every available surface - all the appliances were greasy to the touch and the microwave and oven had old food splattered everywhere - I even had to clean the fridge before putting our food in. The dishwasher has mold around the opening. There were people's fingerprints on the walls in the kitchen and our skin was crawling!
Now to the bathrooms - where the plumbing seems to have been an after thought with galvanized pipe on the interior of the shower - rusted and green - not to mention the wasp infestation in the upstairs bathroom (where you will find the washer and dryer!) - there was also MICE & RAT POISON under the pipes in the upstairs toilet.
The air conditioning filter in the main bedroom was black and frozen since the filter appears NEVER to have been changed - and so loud that you cannot hear the TV (volume issue!).
On their website they invite you to "open the blinds to see the view and deer grazing in the meadow" - This was laughable - there was NO VIEW since all the vegetation is so overgrown and out of control - not to mention the fact that the windows (from the 40's are FILTHY inside and out & again full of cobwebs at every corner. On further inspection we found ANOTHER MICE & RAT OPEN PELLET TRAY behind a filthy 1970's couch where we also found ticks crawling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please bear in mind we were not alone on this vacation - which we booked and looked forward to some 6-8 months prior - we had with us our two daughters and our two dogs which we feel were at risk in the downstairs portion of this DUMP!!!!!!
The outside area which is cleverly photographed (along with the rest of this place) was equally disgusting - there is an old broken refridgerator that has had darts thrown at it and is covered in mold and had rat droppings therein. The gas grill has to be scrubbed of someone else's food before my husband could cook and only then did we cook on silver foil.
The whole place was damp and dirty - dark and dingy and the overwhelming smell of an old rotting house - seemed not to phase Mr Jeff Shook at all when I called him to complain - he made a VERY WEAK attempt to placate us by suggesting that the next morning he could come out himself and "CLEAN" we were at great pains to explain to him that this is more than just surface FILTH - this place was indeed a health hazard!
Mr Shook - weakly responded suggesting that he could send us a $100 coupon for "fine dining" - I explained that we have children and don't want fine dining - we wanted what we have signed up for ............... I also suggested that he should at least have called this property "RUSTIC" I believe that is realtor speak for "OLD and uncared for".
We paid Mr Jeff Shook $1,465.00 for this "vacation" this is our only time in the year that we get away and have rented numerous properties in North Carolina and Georgia before and this UNDOUBTEDLY IS THE WORST DESCRIPTION OF ANY PROPERTY THAT WE HAVE VACATIONED IN.
MR JEFF AND MRS DEBRA SHOOK are unscrupulous, cold hearted, money grabbing, greedy and unprofessional renters - who do not care for their clients or the condition of the properties that they rent - this is, to us, a clear example of AMERICAN GREED - and we CAUTION all pet friendly renters about this property!!!!!