X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: City Financial Trust INc., North American Shoppers Sweepstakes - Chatham Ontario

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Savannah Texas
  • City Financial Trust INc., North American Shoppers Sweepstakes 1957 King Street Chatham, Ontario Canada

City Financial Trust INc., North American Shoppers Sweepstakes Winning Final Notice Check for $4875.00 Chatham Ontario

Report about YOU
We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
I received a letter stating I had won a sweepstakes and was entitled to the sum of $125,000.00 US dollars. There was also a check in the amount of $4875.00. The letter stated this amount was to pay the taxes on total winnings and was to be paid either by MoneyGram or Western Union directly to the tax agent listed on the letter. I am thinking to myself, "directly to the tax agent, not going to happen".

I did however, call the number listed on the letter, I was assured the check was good and to deposit it in my account. Once I had deposited it, I was to call back immediately for further instructions how to pay the taxes and receive my final payment of $120,125.00. Now I have two red flags; directly to the tax agent and call back immediately.

I went to ripoffreport.com and did some resource. Surprise, surprise, I found I wasn't the only one being solicited by this same company with nearly identical circumstances. I contacted the Dallas FBI and verified this was a scam. According to the FBI, these scammers are hoping you will deposit the check and follow their instructions to send money back to them for the "taxes". Once you have done this, they (the scammers) will then stop payment on the check you received/deposited or close the account the check was drawn on before it has a chance to clear leaving you holding the bag. The FBI is now in possession of the letter and check.

Not scammed in texas
Savannah, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/25/2008 07:37 AM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/city-financial-trust-inc-north-american-shoppers-sweepstakes/chatham-ontario-k1p-5r7/city-financial-trust-inc-north-american-shoppers-sweepstakes-winning-final-notice-check-343976. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair