X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Distinctive and Historic Painting Professionals - Massachusetts

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Andrew — Charlestown Massachusetts
  • Author Not Confirmed What's this?
  • Why?

We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix

Brett Mclaughlin was recommended to me by the head of maintenance in my condo building.  When I met Brett he seemed very accomodating and very nice.  He was contracted to do my flooring, and repair a small section of my ceiling and paint it.  The area to be refloored was roughly 650 sq ft.  Brett spent a great deal of time assuring me of the high quality of the engineered flooring he was providing to me and let me know there was a 30 year warranty and should there be any problems with the floor that he would come back and replace the pieces that had issues. He claimed that he would keep an extra box of the wood for me in his warehouse for future repairs if needed. He also spent a great deal of time trying to pursaude me to purchase one type of flooring over another sample.  I suspect that the flooring he wanted me to get was actually cheaper for him or he already had a surplus in his warehouse.

He used various sales tactics such as offering me a perceived discount for an executed agreement and after some price negotiations we agreed on a price and began the project in February, 2013 the majority of the project was completed within the first two weeks and Brett asked me to pay him in full so that he could pay his staff.  I agreed to pay him and later on I found out from his employees that he had not paid them.  One of the employees even quit working for him due to issues with payment.

Over the course of the next few months I had to constantly reach out to Brett to complete the job and when he sent someone to the unit to do work it would be last minute without warning and the worker would stay for 10-15 minutes and leave after.  This continues through the entire summer with work still not being completed.

- Areas of the floor have nail holes that were never filled

- The pantry door was taken off as it no longer fit and Brett wanted to charge me $160 to replace the door which I declined

- sections of the floor were defective from the beginning and were pealing up.  Brett said he would try to fix it, but never did.

- I quickly realized how cheap the material was as the top layer began chipping even when confronted by the smallest things.  I dropped a poland spring 16 oz water bottle from standing and it dented the "wood" which is supposedly bamboo hardwood.  I dropped a wine glass which shattered as you'd expect, but that also left a large chip in the wood.  a double A battery fell off the the dining table and left a chip.  Now I am constantly tip toeing around my home in fear that my own toe nail will damage the floor.  The flooring he provided me supposedly costs $8.50 per sq. ft.  Brett refused to provide me the warranty information of the contact information of his supplier which leads me to believe he did a bait and switch on me.

- Brett never completed the base boards, leaving the walls joining the floor looking very sloppy and incomplete.

- finally, I was told by one of his workers that they spilled/leaked some dark liquid from one of their pieces of equipment which left a dingy look on my stairwell carpet.  Before starting the project I was told that Brett would lay down plastic sheets, but that was never done and Brett assured me he'd bring in cleaners to take care of all the clean up.  He did bring in cleaners, but they did a very light cleaning and didn't remove the stains on the carpet.

Brett has received a number of poor complaints from other unit owners as well as a restaurant establishment in the area named Pier 6.  It seems the more research I do, the more bad things I hear about him and I only wished I'd looked into him more before contracting him to do work.

Brett is now in NJ and has pretty much skipped town to avoid fulfilling his obligations.  Brett's brother is also in the contruction business and I will look for the name of that company: according to another unhappy customer, Brett's may have some association with this company as well.  Once I get the name I will post it as a update.

I plan on pursuing legal action and invite any other ripped off consumers to contact me.  Also, for those of you considering working with Brett, I encourage you to think again and get references.  I have a list of at least 5 different people that are very unhappy in dealing with Brett and the list keeps growing.  One final bit of information: I checked Angie's list and Brett is not on there.  When I spoke with customer service they indicated that Brett was on there and would have received an F rating, but he had called and requested to be removed from the site entirely.  This seems to defeat the purpose of Angie's List, but I guess companies have a right to have all mention of them removed if they request.

Andrew

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/16/2013 01:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/distinctive-and-historic-painting-professionals/massachusetts/distinctive-and-historic-painting-professionals-brett-mclaughlin-contractor-used-cheaper-1092393. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

5Author
8Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Hi Andrew

AUTHOR: DP908 - ()

POSTED: Monday, November 24, 2014

Andrew, How did you connect with the others who were having similar with this company... and also interested in taking legal action?

problem with email

AUTHOR: Patricia - ()

POSTED: Thursday, November 06, 2014

Hi,  Thanks so much for the reply. This is how your email appeared:

e-mail:  (((redacted)))

I would REALLY like to communicate with you and /or anyone else who has had a problem with this company, especially if legal action has been taken.  If you have any other ideas about how we can connect, please let me know.  Thanks

Hi Patricia

POSTED: Thursday, November 06, 2014

I would be glad to chat with you, but I'm not sure how we can get in touch ase Ripoff report advises against providing personal contact information.

Keeping that in mind, I have a junk email account that i've created and you can reach out to me there with your contact information and we can talk.

e-mail:  (((redacted)))

I will check the email over the next week or so.

My advice to you is not to pay him a dime until he's completed 100% of the work.  Also, I would force him to provide you concrete evidence that the materials he intially demoed to you is exactly the same material he's installing.  This may be difficult to do so just be very wary.

For me, Brett swore up and down that the flooring I was getting was great quality and retails for $8 dollars.  He gave it to me for $5.50.  I thought I was getting a deal, but one of his ex employees disclosed that the stuff he put in was complete crap and not worth even $2/sq ft.  Seeing the floor fall apart it is clear to me that there may have been a bait and switch. The sample he showed me was really tough.  I was trying to dent it and key it and it held up... the stuff I have installed will dent and scratch to just about anything.

If you have to work with him then I would watch him like a hawk and compare the price he's giving you with the materials.  Sometimes the materials will have a branding on the bottom side, but you'll have to research it a bit.  Supposedly my flooring has a great warranty, but Brett refused to provide me the brand and warranty information which is pretty shady imo.

If I were you I'd try to stop payment on checks - chances are he asked you for cash though...

good luck!

Also having problems with this individual

AUTHOR: Patricia - ()

POSTED: Thursday, November 06, 2014

I'm having problems with this company in NJ but not quite ready to file a report yet.  Is there any way I'm not seeing here to get in contact with you guys directly to compare notes and discuss your action taken to date?

Found Brett's location

AUTHOR: unhappy customer - ()

POSTED: Thursday, August 14, 2014

As a side note:

for anyone who's been a victim of Distinctive and Historic Painting (Brett Mcglaughlin) and are not able to find him.  I was able to find his address in the case that you want to get a court summons.  Please reach out to me and I can provide you details.

I am now considering the best course for Legal action.  As the floors I purchased from him continue to fall apart it is only fueling my frustration.  Honestly, I should have just gone to Home Depot and had those guys put in my floors.

If there is anyone else that is already taking legal action please let me know as I would like to join in.

Evidence Tara is Brett's wife

AUTHOR: CharlestownK - ()

POSTED: Friday, November 29, 2013

available to chat regarding next steps

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you have also had a bad experience hiring Brett.  My contact information is below.  Please feel free to reach out to me.  I have a couple other people that I am working with as well.

(((redacted)))

regards,

Andrew

Willing to talk to you, Tara.

Hi Tara,

I'm glad that you had a good experience with Brett, but as I mentioned, there are a lot of people that have not had favorable experiences.  I would be glad to take you up on your offer and meet with you if you live in the building.  I would even be glad to show you the areas of incomplete work/poor work that was performed.

One thing I've learned in life is that nothing comes for free.  When I negotiated with Brett, there were a number of other competing and competitive offers.  The things that Brett stated he would throw in, was not "free", but rather a negotiation point to win my business.  At the end of the day I still expected quality work to be done.

Please feel free to call me or email me and we can arrange a time to talk.

(((redacted)))

regards,

Andrew

PS: if the other review is accurate and you are Brett's wife, you might be interested to know some other things that I discovered about him unrelated to my contracting work.

Falsified report

AUTHOR: charlestown k - ()

POSTED: Sunday, November 24, 2013

"Tara" is Brett's wife--not a resident of the apartment building in question.  This is a poor attempt to hide the fact that Brett is a dishonest conman who has cheated countless customers without remorse.  He may have relocated to New Jerset but it's important for customers anywhere to know who they are dealing with.

Lies are being Written about Brett McLaughlin & Company

AUTHOR: Tara - ()

POSTED: Tuesday, November 19, 2013

This business has been in service for over 20 years. There are hundreds and hundreds of very happy customers who have nothing but great things to say about Brett McLaughlin and his crew. Unfortunately with the internet folks can write bad things about other people and they do not have to be factual. They can be a person who is unhappy or having a bad day or caused damage to their own property and decided to write lies about the contractor which is not fair. This person states that their are other who have complaints about this contractor but again each job is different and each person has their own things to say. I repeat they have been in business for over 20 years so they must be doing something right. Its unfortunate this person was unhappy but the facts of this job are incorrect and he did not state the truth.

I live in the same building and was very very happy with my floors and my job. Your contract was honored and all work was completed as specified. It sickens me that this guy can be able to lie like this. Brett bent over backwards for you, did things you asked for free including paying for cleaning services to clean your entire place when they were just paying for the floors in the living area. You took advantage and had them clean your bathroom and bedroom. You asked repeately for things which were not on your contract and Brett did them. Brett pays ALL his employees! Trust me Brett is great to his employees and only fires guys. In this case the employee you are talking about was fired and he was paid so again all lies! He was fired for stealing from my place. You are talking about things you know nothing about. They changed the name of their company because they got licenced to do historic restoration and wanted the name to compliment that.

If you want to discuss this I am available for you to come to my apartment otherwise you should move on.  Brett has a beautiful family and a wonderful business and I think its horrible that you are writting things like this. You should be ashamed of yourself and if you werent happy fixed it with him.

I have referred Brett to 5 other of my friends and all 5 were so happy. They will use him again and again as will I. I am horrified that you wrote this and you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to ruin someones business!! Shame on you and I am ashamed you live so close to me.

Can you pls provide contact information for the author of this initial report?

AUTHOR: RR2 - ()

POSTED: Saturday, October 26, 2013

The author of the original report expressed that he was going to file a lawsuit; pls pass my contact info onto him, or pls provide a way to get in touch.  I might like to join.

More reports on this site that are not linked

AUTHOR: Gal Boston - ()

POSTED: Saturday, October 26, 2013

known contractor associates of Brett

POSTED: Friday, October 18, 2013

Update to original report:

Brett Mclaughlin may be associated with his brother, Phil's, construction company as well.  The name of the construction company is JK Blackstone.  Be cautious when dealing with any known associates of Brett as they have either aided him in his deceptive and poor business practices or were victims themselves.  (I say this because I also found a number of reviews on other sites such as YP.com (http://www.yellowpages.com/wrentham-ma/mip/distinctive-historic-painting-professionals-ma-461092757?lid=461092757) and have spoken with workers that were stiffed on their pay.

As I mentioned, Brett resides in NJ now so residents of NJ beware.

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair