Complaint Review: Distinctive and Historic Painting Professionals - Massachusetts
Distinctive and Historic Painting Professionals Brett Mclaughlin contractor, used cheaper materials that described, did not complete the job, poor service, would show up to do 10-15 minutes of work and leave throughout the weeks. Millis, MA but moved to NJ. Massachusetts
*Consumer Comment: Hi Andrew
*Consumer Comment: problem with email
*Author of original report: Hi Patricia
*Consumer Comment: Also having problems with this individual
*Author of original report: Found Brett's location
*Consumer Comment: Evidence Tara is Brett's wife
*Author of original report: available to chat regarding next steps
*Author of original report: Willing to talk to you, Tara.
*Consumer Comment: Falsified report
*Consumer Comment: Lies are being Written about Brett McLaughlin & Company
*Consumer Comment: Can you pls provide contact information for the author of this initial report?
*Consumer Comment: More reports on this site that are not linked
*Author of original report: known contractor associates of Brett
Brett Mclaughlin was recommended to me by the head of maintenance in my condo building. When I met Brett he seemed very accomodating and very nice. He was contracted to do my flooring, and repair a small section of my ceiling and paint it. The area to be refloored was roughly 650 sq ft. Brett spent a great deal of time assuring me of the high quality of the engineered flooring he was providing to me and let me know there was a 30 year warranty and should there be any problems with the floor that he would come back and replace the pieces that had issues. He claimed that he would keep an extra box of the wood for me in his warehouse for future repairs if needed. He also spent a great deal of time trying to pursaude me to purchase one type of flooring over another sample. I suspect that the flooring he wanted me to get was actually cheaper for him or he already had a surplus in his warehouse.
He used various sales tactics such as offering me a perceived discount for an executed agreement and after some price negotiations we agreed on a price and began the project in February, 2013 the majority of the project was completed within the first two weeks and Brett asked me to pay him in full so that he could pay his staff. I agreed to pay him and later on I found out from his employees that he had not paid them. One of the employees even quit working for him due to issues with payment.
Over the course of the next few months I had to constantly reach out to Brett to complete the job and when he sent someone to the unit to do work it would be last minute without warning and the worker would stay for 10-15 minutes and leave after. This continues through the entire summer with work still not being completed.
- Areas of the floor have nail holes that were never filled
- The pantry door was taken off as it no longer fit and Brett wanted to charge me $160 to replace the door which I declined
- sections of the floor were defective from the beginning and were pealing up. Brett said he would try to fix it, but never did.
- I quickly realized how cheap the material was as the top layer began chipping even when confronted by the smallest things. I dropped a poland spring 16 oz water bottle from standing and it dented the "wood" which is supposedly bamboo hardwood. I dropped a wine glass which shattered as you'd expect, but that also left a large chip in the wood. a double A battery fell off the the dining table and left a chip. Now I am constantly tip toeing around my home in fear that my own toe nail will damage the floor. The flooring he provided me supposedly costs $8.50 per sq. ft. Brett refused to provide me the warranty information of the contact information of his supplier which leads me to believe he did a bait and switch on me.
- Brett never completed the base boards, leaving the walls joining the floor looking very sloppy and incomplete.
- finally, I was told by one of his workers that they spilled/leaked some dark liquid from one of their pieces of equipment which left a dingy look on my stairwell carpet. Before starting the project I was told that Brett would lay down plastic sheets, but that was never done and Brett assured me he'd bring in cleaners to take care of all the clean up. He did bring in cleaners, but they did a very light cleaning and didn't remove the stains on the carpet.
Brett has received a number of poor complaints from other unit owners as well as a restaurant establishment in the area named Pier 6. It seems the more research I do, the more bad things I hear about him and I only wished I'd looked into him more before contracting him to do work.
Brett is now in NJ and has pretty much skipped town to avoid fulfilling his obligations. Brett's brother is also in the contruction business and I will look for the name of that company: according to another unhappy customer, Brett's may have some association with this company as well. Once I get the name I will post it as a update.
I plan on pursuing legal action and invite any other ripped off consumers to contact me. Also, for those of you considering working with Brett, I encourage you to think again and get references. I have a list of at least 5 different people that are very unhappy in dealing with Brett and the list keeps growing. One final bit of information: I checked Angie's list and Brett is not on there. When I spoke with customer service they indicated that Brett was on there and would have received an F rating, but he had called and requested to be removed from the site entirely. This seems to defeat the purpose of Angie's List, but I guess companies have a right to have all mention of them removed if they request.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/16/2013 01:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/distinctive-and-historic-painting-professionals/massachusetts/distinctive-and-historic-painting-professionals-brett-mclaughlin-contractor-used-cheaper-1092393. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.