Complaint Review: Evergreen College - Toronto Ontario

1265 Morningside Ave Suite 200,
    Toronto, Ontario
    United States of America

Evergreen College Ageist interview Toronto, Ontario

When the interviewer Cynthia, did asked me if I spoke Chinese after she had my resume with my not at all Chinese name on it, I should have stopped there. Hearing that I was laid off, I looked for a source of money so when she called me for an interview after assuring me it was not far,  I asked my manager for permission to attend. It was in the far reaches of Scarborough and I was 10 minutes early.
I waited for Cynthia to finish with a Visa application or paperwork and that was not a problem. Then she said I just wanted to put a face to a resume. She said that your voice sounded so young(even if I had 18 years experience on my resume). Maybe I could just send a picture. Then she said this is just a $10.20 an hour job(strange that Admissions Reps get no commission there) and less than you are probably being paid. Though I was paid better than average at a technical college job, I am being paid less than average at my present job. I didn't discuss that as one usually does not discuss money until the recruiter indicates hiring interest. I new that there was ageism involved as I was a job developer for 10 years and many younger employers assumed that older employers are more expensive, though they are usually cheaper.
Then she said that she was looking for someone who could grow with the company, and later mentioned that the job was for 14 weeks.
She quoted from my resume, but did not seem to understand that I had been out of the technical school business for some time, with a consulting company. She said that her company had done well the last year(though I didn't see anyone except for the receptionist), and asked me how we had done. Different industry. Not so well.  Then she said that she hoped I had not had to come out of my way too much(yeah I had). Why not ask for a picture and we can save the trip.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/18/2012 07:10 AM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/evergreen-college/toronto-ontario-m1b-3v9/evergreen-college-ageist-interview-toronto-ontario-824408. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content