X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: FLEET BANK/HEATH VERBURG - PROVIDENCE Rhode Island

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: PORT WASHINGTON NY
  • FLEET BANK/HEATH VERBURG RI/DE/03002E, 125 DUPONT DRIVE PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island U.S.A.
  • Phone: None Given
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Fleet Bank: LARCENY! By Any Other Word...

On 8/21/01 I deposited two checks totalling $550.00 at an outdoor Fleet Bank ATM attached to a Fleet Branch, located in Roslyn, NY. I can supply the precise address if you seek to follow up and need me to do so.

I am no amateur at using ATMs, have been using them since 1980(when they were only available in limited test markets), am fully computer-literate, and cannot be charged by the bank with'well, maybe he didn't know what he was doing'. I inserted the required envelopes, and the deposit was prepared as always done. I received a receipt for the transaction.

In early September, I received a letter from Fleet informing me that they were debiting my account the $550 as they did not have the checks., In order to solve the problem, they needed to see the returned checks. No matter how smart I MAY be, how could I produce the checks in question in original form whern the same checks in question were LOST? In other words, these Kafka-esque idiots lost my checks.

I spent TWO hours on the phone off of their 800 number trying to get help. Finally, a Fleet representative issued me a case number, and said that the debit was temporarily reversed, pending resolution.

On 9/17/01 a Teller at the Hauppauge, NY Fleet branch told me all had worked out in my favor in re this matter.

On 9/19, Fleet re-debited me the $500.00, reversing their reversal.

On 9/22 , I went to the Fleet Branch on Main Street, Port Washington, NY and sought help. No way, no HOW, there was absolutely no desire to do so."This matter is closed and your letter says so", I was rudely told?

Letter? What letter?

It arrived later in the day saying just that.

I have already withdrawn some of my funds in Cashier Check form and repopened a new account elsewhere, informing Fleet that my money was no longer safe there.They made no effort to deter a departing customer from departing.

I give up. I will use ANY means to get this money back, which I desperately need. ANY means. ANY.

I want my money back.

Jon Weinstein

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/22/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/fleet-bankheath-verburg/providence-rhode-island-02907/fleet-bank-rip-off-grand-larceny-6733. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
4Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Call the Feds

AUTHOR: Richard - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Tuesday, January 28, 2003
Contact the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. They are a federal agency that will be able to assit you. Fleet Bank has violated Regulation E.
The Comptroller of the Currency will help you!

This may be of interest...

AUTHOR: Anon - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Thursday, January 09, 2003
I can't comment on your ATM experience, but I thought you might find this interesting. Several years ago there was a big lawsuit against Fleet Bank for predatory lending practices.

Fleet Bank LOST, and as part of the settlement, they now partially finance the non-profit agency NACA(www.naca.com), which underwrites mortgages for low-income and medium income folks, the very folks who have been victims of predatory lending. The program is now national. Look up NACA on it's website for more information on the details of the Fleet Bank settlement.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

here are the "means" you requested

AUTHOR: banker bob - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Saturday, January 04, 2003
It sounds like Fleet is advising you to provide proof of the deposit. A logical request on their behalf. No matter how smart you may be, you couldn't magically produce a check that vaporized upon contact with the Atm? Or could you? Why don't you simply contact party that issued you the check. They can contact their Financial Institution to determine if the checks were processed. If they were, a source of receipt is all that is needed to prove the deposit was made. If the checks are still outstanding, request a stop payment be placed on the checks so you could be issued replacements.

#1 0