X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Mastercuts - Cary North Carolina

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: clayton North Carolina
  • Author Confirmed What's this?
  • Why?
  • Mastercuts Cary Towne Center Cary, North Carolina U.S.A.

Report about YOU
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix

Beware of Inflated Hair Prices

Mastercuts charge by the service and this was not told to me when I requested a hair trim and highlights for my son. I took my son which he is thirteen years old to get his hair trimmed and highlights.

The stylist told me he had twenty years experience so I thought everything would be okay. The stylist took a comb and brushed color througout my son's hair. Well, when the stylist was done my son had reddish hair. He asked me if my son still needed highlights. I told the stylist yes. The stylist then pulled his hair through a cap to add highlights.

#1 I don't know why the stylist combed his hair with color in the first place. We showed the stylist a picture of what we wanted which the picture showed a man with dark brown hair and heavy blonde highlights. My son has dark brown hair.

The stylist should of just frosted my son's hair in the first place without brushing color on the hair. My son now has strawberry reddish hair (not what we were looking for at all).
I listened to this stylist because he told me he had 20 years experience.

Anyway, I thought I was in a decent hair salon as far as prices goes due to they had a banner up adult haircuts for $13.95. Mastercuts did not have any other prices up.

Well, the damages for the day were $13.95 for a adult hair cut, $39.00 for cap highlight, and $49.00 for color which comes to $101.95.

My son does not look any better than before he came into the salon. I could take this price better if we got what we requested but believe me we didn't. I was so mad and shocked at the price that I didn't say anything.

I wanted consumers to be aware to make sure they ask how much this is going to cost. I would not reccomend this salon it's way over priced and you do not receive what you want.

Unsatisfied Ex-Customer
cary, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/18/2005 12:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/mastercuts/cary-north-carolina/mastercuts-ripoff-inflated-prices-for-services-cary-north-carolina-150199. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
12Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#12 UPDATE EX-employee responds

This is sad

AUTHOR: brownsong - (USA)

POSTED: Saturday, February 06, 2010

You were totally ripped off. There are no excuses for this. Or for the stupid comments made to your rip off report. First of all, concerning who should or should not get their hair dyed, nobody's opinion matters except you and your son's. It is idiotic for the guy to say that men should not dye hair. If he thinks that, fine, don't dye your hair, but others can do what they want.

A picture is worth a thousand words. I am an experienced colorist/hairstylist and I always breathe a sigh of relief when someone brings in a picture. Because that is your proof. Otherwise, there may be misunderstandings. It is much easier to cut or color according to a picture than someone just trying to explain what they want.

Barber shops usually don't dye hair. They specialize in clipper cuts.

If your son had dark brown hair when he went in then there was no reason for the extra service of the all over color. I would have simply pulled his hair through a cap and lightened it with something like ColorGraphics.

I don't know what the last commenter was talking about. The hair doesn't dry out unless you forget to put a cap on under the dryer. You should always put a plastic cap on under the dryer so the hair does not dry out. If you are using color that does not require going under the dryer, it will take longer, but the color will not dry out. It will always stay wet until washed out.

You should have refused to pay. So sorry about your experience, but it doesn't surprise me, as I used to work at Mastercuts and hated it.

#11 Consumer Suggestion

Employee'S Actions Questionable

AUTHOR: pnemosiene - (USA)

POSTED: Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I also worked for Mastercuts and Mastercuts sets it's prices what is called a la carte, each service is charged in full even sometimes when they only perform a partial service. The employee either failed to communicate that the look in the picture required an overall color. If your son already had dark brown hair then the overall color was unnecesary and should not have been charged. Highlights often turn redish when the highlighting solution dries out, when it dries out it stops lifting the hair color, in addition it is possible that because the stylist turned your son's hair red with artificial colr, the highlighting solution now had to try to lift through artificial dye as well as the natural color, red is the most difficult color to highlight. The stylist should have used a cap to cover the highlights as they were processing. In your situation I would have refused to pay for the services, with the exception of the cut.

#10 UPDATE EX-employee responds

you have the right to be upset.

AUTHOR: Marion - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Sunday, September 17, 2006

Ok I have worked for this company in the past, and they are a good company to work for. In fact, they are owned by the Regis Corp.

On the other hand, I can understand you being upset.

First of all, I don't agree with the other rebuttals that state not to bring in a picture. Come on guys, you know you refer to pictures all the time. What else are those books in the lobby for? Saying you cannot refer to a picture is a bunch of bull****.

Now, replicating a picture is another story. A good stylist knows how to analyze your client and give the client honest advice in a consultation. Yes this will work for you. No, this will not work for you. A good stylist will also explain to you exactly what they need to do to get the desired results.(if possible) They will also give you a quote. If not, ask for one before service is provided.

And I reguard myself as an honest stylist with 14 years experience.

What the stylist did in the complaint, I see it all the time. He was trying to make more money, and he knew exactly what he was doing.

Any stylist knows that highlights on a boy doesn't require color first.. Give me a break, this is a 13 year old boy. Put a cap on, add some bleach, shampoo and there you've got it, highlights. No Big Deal.

Give your customers what they want (if possible and if it works for them) and don't rip them off. They will appreciate it and come back to you. Plain and simple.

Now this particular stylist has lost a good customer because of greed.

What I do want to say, is do not blame the Company, this is an individual stylist who played dirty, not the company. I am sure mastercuts wants to make money too, but not by ripping people off.

Marion

Sorry for the misconceptions

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Tuesday, July 19, 2005

If your hair is what gives you self esteem, you are truly sad and should seek counseling. As for bringing in a picture of someone else and wanting your hair to look like theirs...sorry, not going to happen. The stylist should work with the customer to find a "look" that fits the person's face. Most people have the wrong cut because they don't understand this. "Why don't I look like the actress I idolize"? Ummm, because you look nothing like her and never will?! As for men dying their hair...again, no.

It looks idiotic at best. The bride of Frankenstein had "highlights". She was sweeeet. Again, no. What was wrong with the price? The haircut is a different item from the dye job, like going to the barber shop and getting a haircut versus a shave or beard trim that's added on.

My wife spends about that when she gets her hair done and she lives in my house in NC, not very far from Cary. And no, I don't like it when she gets her hair dyed either, it looks unnatural...maybe because it is.

POSTED: Monday, July 18, 2005

"You never bring in a picture of what you want his hair to look like. Have you ever heard the phrase "I am a beautician, not a majician."? As well for the price, that sounds reasonable.

Thomas - Dover, Delaware"

WHY would you NEVER bring in a picture of what you want? Explain that, please, I truly do not understand the rationale of that statement.

If one person could do it, for someone you can look at in a picture, why would it take a magician to do the same thing to someone else's hair?

My advice regarding the dying and highlighting, do it at home, it's actually easy. Real Men DO dye their hair, if it makes them feel better about their self-image; and highlighting is a fashion statement for someone the son's age. The price does NOT sound reasonable when you consider how much less it would cost at the store to get BETTER RESULTS YOURSELF.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

#3 Consumer Suggestion

#2 Consumer Suggestion

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Take him to a Barber Shop

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Monday, July 18, 2005

That's where MEN go to get their hair cut. And for the record...MEN don't dye their hair.

Featured Reports

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair