X  |  CLOSE

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Michael — Chadds Ford United States
  • My Car-reg.org United States

I typed in dmv.pa.gov to renew my car registration and some how was directed to this site.  I assumed the DMV changed their website and continued with what I thought was a registration.  Turns out it wasn't....it was a guide that I just purchased for $19.99 with a $3.99 processing fee.

When I realized this I called the company.  I cancelled but they won't refund the $3.99 processing fee.  This compnay is discpetive and the DMV shouldn't allow this to happen when you go to their site.

I will be calling the Pa General Attorneys office as well as the DMV.  The first call will be to my bank to make sure this payment doesn't go through.  This is a scam.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2019 01:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/my-car-regorg/my-car-regorg-re-directed-to-this-site-when-i-attempted-to-renew-car-registration-1470862. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

2Author
4Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#6 General Comment

Two points....

AUTHOR: John - (United States)

POSTED: Tuesday, January 08, 2019

1.  If Robert works for this company, he's a very busy guy because over the past decade he's been accused of working for Title Loan Operators, Rent A Center, and any number of tax services.  Seriously, the "you must work for them" whine has gotten really, really old.

2.  The big obvious red flag- I mean, besides the "not affiliated with any government" disclaimer- should have been the box which asked you to fill in which state you were trying to work from.  Ummmm.....did you think that the Department of Motor Vehicles is part of the Executive Branch of the US Government?  Did you not realize that the PA DMV can only operate within Pennsylvania and that it would have ZERO reason to ask you what freaking state you were trying to work from?

I mean, come on!!

PS I don't work for them, either.

BBB

AUTHOR: Michael - (United States)

POSTED: Monday, January 07, 2019

The BBB says differently.

Don’t disregard the disclaimers

AUTHOR: coast - (United States)

POSTED: Monday, January 07, 2019

You selectively trimmed out the text that is just a few inches above your screen shot: MyCar-Reg.org or its products are not endorsed or affiliated with any government entity, including any federal, state, county, city department, bureau, division or agency.

You also selectively trimmed out the text that is just a few inches below your screen shot: mycar-reg.org is a privately owned website and it is not affiliated with any government agencies. The services we provide are available for free in the official sites or local offices.

You also evaded the other commenter’s statement regarding the pop-up disclaimer that clearly stated: By clicking "continue" you acknowledge that this site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency

You incorrectly assumed that you were on a DMV website; however, you acknowledged that you were entering a privately owned website when you clicked the ‘continue’ button.

What Robert Said...

AUTHOR: The Dog - (United States)

POSTED: Monday, January 07, 2019

I can see Robert hit the nail directly and very squarely on the head, so much so that you have ZERO intelligent rebuttal. This would be the time to write back that I must work for them too!

Wrong

AUTHOR: Michael - (United States)

POSTED: Monday, January 07, 2019

I can just about guarantee that you are not a "concerned consumer", but rather someone affiliated with this company.  You should probably switch your affiliation to employee/owner instead of consumer.   Otherwise you as a "concerned consumer" have a lot of time on your hands to investigate this claim.

I typed in www.dmv.pa.gov into the browser, not mycar-reg.org.  Very two different website addresses...and no my browser didn't "autocorrect" to a differnet address.  You probably shouldn't "assume" you know what happened since you weren't there.

I will admit there was probably some inattentiveness on my part, however, the first page goes on to ask "What do you want to do?"  I have attached a picture.  There are numerous reports about this company to other complaints sites...as well as numerous complaints to the BBB.

Sadly

AUTHOR: Robert - (United States)

POSTED: Sunday, January 06, 2019

I can just about guarantee that you got to this site by either incorrectly typing in the address, or having your browser "auto-correct" to a different address.

Unfortunately sites such as this rely on the users inattentiveness, and had you read the pages instead of "assuming" the State is now using a different site you would not have been in this situation.

As I did go to that site and the very first thing that popped up was an alert that stated that makes it very clear IF YOU READ IT that they are not the official site and you must go to the official site to process your renewal.  Once you get by that the very first page after this alert I counted no less than 4 separate statements that stated they were not affiliated with any government agency. I didn't go much further but on every page I went to I noticed similar statements.

There is one other aspect to this, did you at any time put in your vehicle information? If not did you find that odd or just "assumed" that is how it was done?  Also in looking at the fee schedule for PA the minimum fee for vehicle registration is $37, so what exactly did you think the $23.99 was paying for?

The bank may not be able to cancel the charge from going through, but hopefully they will allow you to dispute it and credit you back the fee you paid.

In the end this $3.99 may be an inexpensive lesson to be very careful when you enter in any personal or financial information in the future on any site regardless of where you "assume" you are.

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair