Complaint Review: Texas Family Magazine/Jesse Santiago, Publisher - Sugar Land Texas

• Submitted: Thu, June 05, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, June 13, 2008
  • Reported By: Lucas Texas
  • Texas Family Magazine/Jesse Santiago, Publisher
    P.O. Box 17855, Sugar Land, TX 77496
    Sugar Land, Texas

Texas Family Magazine/ Jesse Santiago, Publisher Texas Family Magazine refuses to pay freelancers, but pays "full-time" staff only Sugar Land Texas

*Consumer Comment: In Response to Mr. Santiago

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Irresponsible Attack

I am a freelance writer, and I have not been able to collect payment for two of my articles which were published by Texas Family Magazine (located in Sugar Land). The publisher, Jesse Santiago, will not answer emails or phone calls. The amount of money I am waiting for (which is many months past due) is $910. These are for:

$350 for an article for the Jan-Feb 2008 issue
$560 for an article for the March-April 2008 issue

I invoiced Santiago for these articles when I turned them in to the editor (at the agreed-upon pay rate). Contrary to the industry standard, Santiago only pays for articles upon publication, not on acceptance. However, even if he is paying on publication, the standard is to pay within 1-2 weeks of publication. My "Cooking with wine" article was published 4 months ago, the second article has been published for two months.

Additionally, Texas Family owes me $560 for a third article for the May/June/July 2008 issue. This issue, I understand, is going to press anytime, or maybe already has. I am concerned about getting paid for this article too.

The magazine's other freelance writers are awaiting past-due payment for articles too. Editor Caroline Shearer has talked to Santiago on the writers' behalf, trying to convince him to pay us. She has not been successful.

Texas Family is still going on and "doing business"--working on new issues, etc., and are paying full-time staff. Yet they are not paying their freelancerswho truly are the "bread and butter" of their publication.

I want to be paid for all three articles (amounting to $1470), but at this point I would be content to be paid the $910 for the first two articlesAT LEAST FOR NOW. But I still want the $560 payment for the third article by the end of July.

Signed,

Rebecca

Rebecca
Lucas, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/05/2008 05:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/texas-family-magazinejesse-santiago-publisher/sugar-land-texas-77496/texas-family-magazine-jesse-santiago-publisher-texas-family-magazine-refuses-to-pay-free-337541. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
1Employee/Owner

In Response to Mr. Santiago

AUTHOR: Suzanne - (U.S.A.)

Mr. Santiago,

Regardless of whether Ms. *** claim of full time staff being paid is correct, you do agree that she is owed money by your publication. So what exactly is the slanderous comment? That you have not paid your freelance writers? That, by your own admission, is true. It would appear as though your unique payment terms have not been made clear to the freelance writers with whom you have contracted. And quite honestly it's not THEIR problem that advertisers have not paid you. I hardly think that one of the unpaid freelance writers could use that excuse and forego making a car or mortgage payment and just let their creditors know that they have a unique pay arrangement with Texas Family Magazine so they'll send their payment in as soon as they get paid.

#2 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Irresponsible Attack

AUTHOR: Jesse - (U.S.A.)

While Texas Family is late in payment the information Ms. **** provides are incorrect and is legally slanderous.

1. Texas Family has NEVER refused to pay her or any of our writers. Texas Family depends on its advertisers to pay its bills. Whenever any advertiser is late in payment, it delays payment of the entire issue as structured by its out-of-state financial partner. Therefore no revenue is accessible until collections are made in full for that particular issue.

2. Texas Family currently DOES NOT employ any full time staff members, not even myself. So the claim that its full-time staff or I gets paid while our contractors/writers do not is simply untrue and is only sadly said to cause harm.

3. I HAVE indeed spoken to Ms. **** via phone and email several times explaining our structure and our full intent to pay her once issue collections have completed and the funds available.

Texas Family understands her frustration, however is saddened by the above email and Ms. ****'s inaccurate depiction of our publication. Everyone in Texas Family works very hard to not only excel but to just compete in this very difficult economy. The financial structure of Texas Family is far from the most efficient, but it is nevertheless the only one its confined to at the moment. Texas Family appreciates its writers and would like nothing more tan to keep providing them paid work.