Complaint Review: Washington Mutual - Identity Theft Prevention - Las Vegas Nevada
- Washington Mutual - Identity Theft Prevention 1117 Desert Lane #100 Las Vegas, Nevada U.S.A.
- Phone: 866-898-7489
- Category: Banks
Identity Theft Prevention Washington Mutual Helped ITP Rip Off $700 from Grandma Las Vegas Nevada
What was disturbing was how they got my grandma's money out of her account: they wrote the check! You can see a photo of the check on my blog:
My grandma initiated a fraud claim but Wamu rejected it saying she authorized the transaction. Not true. Wamu's position: if the scammers recorded her saying her account number (which they did do), she authorized the transaction and it's a legitimate transaction. Then they said her account was compromised and closed her account.
I grilled Wamu customer support about their check processing policy and this is what they told me:
1. They will cash checks written by any third-party "merchant" against your account -- even if you never signed (or saw) a check.
2. The only limit on the money at risk in your account is the funds available.
3. After the fact, if you initiate a fraud claim, Wamu will reject it if the scammers have a recording of you saying your account number. Nothing more.
4. Ask them to protect your account by only cashing checks you have personally signed in writing and they refuse.
This should be of interest to any Washington Mutual checking account holders, especially in light of the debit card problems they've been having lately.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/15/2006 11:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/washington-mutual-identity-theft-prevention/las-vegas-nevada-89102/identity-theft-prevention-washington-mutual-helped-itp-rip-off-700-from-grandma-las-vegas-181339. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.