Complaint Review: Cafe Cup

• Cafe Cup

Internet
    United States of America

Cafe Cup Blatant rip-off scam , Internet

I saw the ad for Cafe Cup on TV and thought it would make a great, reasonably-priced gift. I opted to order online, but jotted down the phone number as well. Unfortunately, I didn't check for complaint reports before I went to the site to order.

The first thing that came up was the offer I saw on TV: 4 cafe cups for $10.99 plus shipping & handling. I provided the credit card and mailing info, clicked to purchase, and got a pop-up ad offering to upgrade to a deluxe model for an additional $9.99 with free shipping. I opted to go with the up-grade, and clicked on "purchase", only to face another pop-up offer to double the order for an Additional $9.99 with free s&h. It looked so much like the previous pop-up that I decided to look back at the first pop-up to compare.

As soon as I clicked the "back" icon, the "order complete" page appeared, and immediateley I found that I had been scammed. The invoice showed that I had ordered the 4 deluxe Cafe Cups with free shipping, but the total cost was $37.98 ! (should have been $20.98) The website never offered me an opportunity to review my purchase before it completed the order, nor did it provide any contact info or cancel options.

I immediately dialed the phone number I had gotten from the TV ad, and got a redorded message giving two options: 1-place an order, 2-track an order. I chose #2, and got another recorded message which gave the business weekday hours, and a different phone # I could call after the weekend.

I called that number on Monday morning and got 2 choices. 1-track an order, and 2-return an order. I chose  #2, and got a recorded message saying that, due to extreme high volumn of calls, my call would not go through, and that I should try back later in the week, or go to the website. I would have been willing to wait for my turn amongst the long line of callers, but was not given that option. Instead, they disconnected me at the end of that message.

This is clearly a well-designed scam. If and when the product does arrive, I hope it isn't as faulty as the deceptive advertizing and website snare.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/10/2012 09:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/cafe-cup/internet/cafe-cup-blatant-rip-off-scam-internet-980116. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content