X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Gateway Computers - Poway California

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: tamarac Florida
  • Gateway Computers Gateway 14303 Gateway Place Poway, California U.S.A.

Gateway Computers Gateway said my laptop had water damage when i sent it in for a blacked out moniter and broken screen hinges with 2 months left on the 3 year warrenty Poway California

*Consumer Comment: I'd be happy

We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
My laptop worked decently for 2 years and 10 months, when the hinges that held the monitor screen in place broke and the LCD screen went black. I checked my warranty and saw that i had 2 months left on my 3 year warranty so i sent it in. I get a call from gateway repair saying they will not fix the laptop due to it having water damage. So immediately this sounds shady to me, either they didnt have the part to fix my old laptop or just didnt want to give me a reimbursement.

So i argued with the lady for about 30 mins but talking to them is like talking to a brick wall. They didn't care, they just wanted me off the phone. So i write a letter to gateway corporate and about 2 weeks later i get a letter back asking for me to call their corporate office to discuss the issue. The person i spoke with (Timmothy) was the same brick wall i spoke with earlier. He outlined that my laptop had water damage on the LCD board, motherboard, and LCD screen which is impossible cause i had never EVER spilled any water on it what so ever.

I argued with him but he basically states that he will not fix it. So here i am posting about this shady act committed by Gateway with only 2 months left on my warrenty.

Drew
tamarac, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/12/2008 12:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/gateway-computers/poway-california-92064/gateway-computers-gateway-said-my-laptop-had-water-damage-when-i-sent-it-in-for-a-blacked-400704. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

I'd be happy

AUTHOR: Memyself&i - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Friday, December 12, 2008
3yrs use out of a cruddy gateway laptop. You should be thankful for that!!

Your story seems kind of weak. How did the hinges just break one day? If they did break their purpose is to hold the screen at a fixed position. The way you make it sound this was the problem - and it wouldn't affect the functioning of the screen at all like you mentioned.

You or someone else probably did spill water on it or you left in the bathroom too many times while you showered. They have the same little detectors that cell phones have that turn a certain color when exposed to water.

You should also be thankful that when you wrote a letter to corporate they actually responded! That's a small miracle in itself! Maybe try calling back and speaking with someone else. Get a discount on a future purchase, something, anything. Make sure they send the laptop back to you at no charge also.

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair