X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: H&R Block - Internet

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: San Francisco California
  • H&R Block hrblock.com Internet U.S.A.

H&R Block Don't be fooled by offer for free online tax preparation Ripoff! Internet

Don't be fooled by H&R Block's offer for "free" online tax preparation. It's definitely NOT free. If you enter the HRB site via IRS.gov, then certain services are free or reduced in price.

However, beware if you opt to enter HRB through their site. Although they advertise the same free services listed as if you entered through the IRS site, nothing is free! I spent hours completing my returns, only to get to the final screen telling me I owe $49.95. Nothing about this fee was mentioned upfront.

I clicked on their button for free preparation services. BUT, I entered through HRB's portal, not through the IRS's. I contacted customer service, both online and by phone. Both operators told me that the tax services are not free if I do not enter HRB through the IRS site. I pointed out that the HRB homepage has a button advertising free tax prep. They claimed that, although this might be true, I must pay the $49.95 anyway.

Corporate America at it's best! Stay away from H&R Block. There are better alternatives out there! Do your research before committing to a tax preparation service.

Stacy
San Francisco, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/23/2005 09:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/hr-block/internet/hr-block-dont-be-fooled-by-offer-for-free-online-tax-preparation-ripoff-internet-136212. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content