X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Myriad Genetics - Salt Lake City Utah

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: MaryJane — Springdale United States
  • Author Not Confirmed What's this?
  • Why?
  • Myriad Genetics Salt Lake City, Utah United States

Myriad Genetics Mychoice $8055.00 bill for Mychoice BRCA test. This cost needs to be an upfront cost for customers. Salt Lake City Utah

Report about YOU
We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix

Due to a family member alerting me that she recently tested positive for a BRCA2 gene mutation. For my peace of mind of knowing if I too had that same gene mutation I called my doctor's office and asked them about a DNA test. They referred me to MYchoice from Myriad Genetics. I was told I should call my insurance company and ask if it was covered but it usually wasn't much maybe $300-400. Which I assumed (I know, bad to assume) but I assumed meant total cost of test, as I googled genetic tests for BRCA and they were off the internet anywhere from $100-400. I thought I would follow my Dr.’s office advice and they would know the best test. I called my insurance company and asked if the test would be covered. Again, I did not ask about the total cost, but was told they would cover most of the test and I would definitely fit the guidelines of being covered.

So, I went into my Dr.'s office signed papers that was saying I agreed to have this test done. Yes, I wanted to find out if I had these gene mutations, I signed and agreed. Had my blood drawn and was in and out of the office in maybe 30 minutes. I was told I would find out the results in 3-4 weeks.

I received a call from my Dr.'s office that said they received the results and I was negative. Thank heaven. I told them they could send my results. End of story, I thought maybe I would be hit up with a bill of maybe $100-200 for the test.

I just opened my insurance claim. My insurance is with Regence Blue Cross. My insurance was billed $8055.00!!! WHAT! For a DNA test for BRCA?? $8000! I was baffled. Completely floored. My discounted rate was $3424.43 and the amount the insurance paid was $2725.00. I owed Myriad Genetics $699.43. For a BRCA blood test.

I called Myriad spoke with a customer representative and asked why I would be billed $8000. She told me due to my history, my Dr. ordered the test needed. And my insurance was billed only $3424.43. And I ONLY owed $699.43. I told her I would not pay that. Especially since I was told $300-400 was what the test would be. I even referred to their website that said $375.00 and above on it. I said that was misleading as $8000 was WAY ABOVE $375 She quickly told me that was the total AFTER the insurance. Hmmm. She put me on hold. Then told me they reduced my cost to $300 and would bill me for that. Thank you Myriad for reducing my bill to $300, but my deductible will probably go up with my insurance because you billed them $8000!!!

I think something is very wrong with this. I like my Dr. but also, think it is strange they didn't mention that the total cost billed to my insurance could be as much as $8000! I will call them and let them know they should mention this to their patients. I think it is strange Myriad billed $8000, but then reduced it to $3423.43.

Thank you for letting me vent, I just feel baffled, taken advantage of, preplexed, and mad.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/29/2018 08:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/myriad-genetics/salt-lake-city-utah/myriad-genetics-mychoice-805500-bill-for-mychoice-brca-test-this-cost-needs-to-be-an-u-1445065. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

Featured Reports

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair