Complaint Review: Vantage Press - New York New York

• Vantage Press
    419 Park Ave South
    New York, New York
    United States of America

Vantage Press Ripped off a senior citizen (my mom) big time to publish a book for her. New York, New York

*Consumer Comment: I sued David Lamb- now going to the press

A few years ago (2006) my mom had a dream to publish a book about her uncle who had served in World War I.   Her brother had done a lot of research on the topic but he had passed away.  My mom somehow came in contact with Vantage Press. She was 79 years old at the time.  We knew that she was paying this company to publish the book but we did not realize how much until recently.   My mother passed away in 2012 and I was going through her things.  I found the contract she signed with Vantage Press.  This company charged her over $16,000.   Of course, mom never let anyone know what she was paying.

I really feel that this company ripped her off big time.  They took advantage of a senior citizen with a dream.   They did very little to promote the book.  I know they sent out sample copies to some distributors and stores.  The book had limited appeal but I don't believe they explained that to my mom.   She had a few book signings and sold a few books herself.  Vantage sold only 47 books for her and paid her $ 450.    We still have several hundred books in my dad's home.  We are giving them away.  I donated a box to the library book sale.  I don't know what we will do with the rest.

If someone in your family really wants to publish a book don't let them get ripped off by Vantage.  There are many cheaper and better ways to self-publish.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/22/2012 08:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/vantage-press/new-york-new-york-10016/vantage-press-ripped-off-a-senior-citizen-my-mom-big-time-to-publish-a-book-for-her-ne-858099. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

I sued David Lamb- now going to the press

AUTHOR: motherbear - ()

HI

I am a fellow author who was robbed by David Lamb and Vantage Press. I sued him and won. I proved he stole our money and committed fraud. Now he's declared bankruptcy and I probably won't get paid. I'm going to the press. Your story of your  mother's betrayal is poignant and I'm hoping you'll support my efforts to get this story out there in the press.

please email me at (((redacted)))

best