Complaint Review: Magic Jack

• Reported By: Donaca — Manhattan, NYC New York United States of America
Magic Jack

Magic Jack Changes Service, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Your so right

Recently I've been trying to call my local electric/gas company ConEdison here in NYC.  When I dial their toll free number, 888-925-5016, I get a recording from ConEdison saying that they DO NOT accept calls dialed on this toll free # from OUTSIDE their service territory.  I am WITHIN their service area because I am their customer.  I have always used MagicJack to dial this number before without any problem.  Con Edison's recording then gives me a LOCAL number to phone.

When I dial the LOCAL number, 212-243-1900, I get a message from MagicJack telling me that I have to purchase prepaid minutes to access this number.  I live within this area code region.

The person on MagicJack's chat told me that the local number is part of some conference platform, or something to that nature, and so I have to purchase prepaid minutes from MagicJack to access this number.

The MagicJack person on live chat NEVER told me why the toll free number would no longer work.  She also did NOT tell me why their was an abrupt change in service.  So now, I'm using my cell phone to dial my local power company because MagicJack won't let me call them for free!

MagicJack did not notify me that this SUDDEN change would take place or why, and it's very upsetting to me.  When we purchased MagicJack we were under the impression that we could dial anywhere in the US without any problem.  It's probably in their contract somewhere that they can start charging additional fees whenever they feel like it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/14/2013 10:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Magic-Jack/internet/Magic-Jack-Changes-Service-Internet-1028639. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Magic Jack

Your so right

AUTHOR: The Poor Consumers Corner - ()

I checked out your claim of calling the company you listed using a magic jack device and have to agree that you are indeed unable to get a call through.  I would think that this has more to do with acceptable caller identification requirements by that electric company, or there may be a caller ID feature in magic jack that needs to be turned on.  Call the electric company and ask them about what number they received, and check out your magicjack features through your magicjack online account for caller ID on/off feature.

This may possibly be an upcoming trend that all magic jack customers will have to face; not being able to connect calls. Traditional telephone companies are loosing massive revenue from people using devices like the magic jack.  This could be a backlash from such companies for all the lost revenue.

These new revelations about people complaining of non connecting calls via the magic jack makes me wonder just how much longer these devices will be of use.  The solution you found was only convent because you have a cell phone to make use of.

Thank you for your informing others of your dilemma.

Donald Worth - Cincinnati OH