X  |  CLOSE

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Philip — Arizona United States
  • United Airlines Nationwide United States

United Airlines United Explorer Mileage Plus Card Failed to honor advertised credit Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: Sounds like a Bait and Switch to me

I tried booking a flight through United's website having been recommended to their offer which was, if booked and paid for using their United Explorer Mileage Plus Visa card I would receive a statement credit of $250. With this in mind I applied for, and received said card. After receiving it I went onto the United website where I selected a flight and then came to the payment section where I filled out the details from my new card. As I did not see any reference to the statement credit, although there were a couple of boxes requesting any promotion codes, I wondered if I should fill those out, so I called United before hitting submit. The CS rep explained that the $250 statement credit did not need a promotion code as the credit would automatically be applied to the next statement following an initial purchase. I asked if they could confirm that in writing and they transferred me to another department, which was Chase Visa I believe. The Rep again confirmed that a statement credit would be issued on the first statement and again I asked for written confirmation and was told that they would have to transfer me to a supervisor for that. Supervisor came on the line and told me that the statement credit would not apply to the particular card I had. I drew his attention to the online webpage ads and to the fact that the card as issued looked identical to that shown and that was what I had applied for, but he still refused to honor the offer. Following this I have no confidence in either United or their Chase partners as far as I am concerned this is fraudulent advertising.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/12/2019 04:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/report/united-airlines/explorer-mileage-plus-card-1481809. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Sounds like a Bait and Switch to me

AUTHOR: FloridaNative - (United States)

POSTED: Saturday, July 13, 2019

Based on your report, this sounds like the classic "Bait and Switch" to me.

If you have your documentation, please report it to the CFPB and other consumer protection departments.

Thank you for your complaint so the rest of us consumers can avoid both United Airlines and it's credit card issuer - Chase. I wonder how many other credit card rewards are hot air?