Complaint Review: Credit Karma

, California
    United States

Credit Karma Credit Karma scores are WAY wrong... Shame on you CK! California

*Consumer Comment: Education

*Author of original report: Don't think so

*Consumer Comment: They are not wrong

Hi,

Until just a little while ago I loved getting my updates from Credit Karma. I was very pleased with the progress they reported I was making, and showed me scores going up up and UP. I started in the low 400's and, acording to CK, I am now comfortably in the mid 600's.

...Or am I?

I read a review recently much like the one you're now reading from me. It said that Credit Karma was very innaccurate. I thought, "no, impossible. They update every week, I get little reports and "wll done!" when my score goes up and a "needs work" when it goes down. But, my suspicion remained so today I went directly to all three agencies and requested my actual, official reports.

Guess what?

My actual scores were at least 100 lower than the scores CK was giving me! And the scores I got were directly from TRans Untion and Equifax, the two agencies CK claims to be indirect contact with. SO...either CK is deliberately deceptive (a business using deception to make money? Nah. Could never happen right? lol. At best they are really bad at math.

I recommend you go to experian.com and get your actual credit reports. You get one freebie a year so it's like $1.00 to get your reports. Well worth a buck wouldn't you agree?

Get your actual credit scores. If CK is giving you false data, come on back and REPORT it! Maybe they'll start being ethical. Maybe pigs will fly out of my butt but it's worth spreading the truth.

Love ya RipoffReport.

Truly,

gr8dna

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/09/2018 01:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/credit-karma/california/credit-karma-credit-karma-scores-are-way-wrong-shame-on-you-ck-california-1428189. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
2Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Education

AUTHOR: Robert - (United States)

I'm not here to give you a Credit Score crash course. But I will point out just a few of your inaccuracies...

The reason I stated it is laughable is because the same "marketing" you are spouting is same information they are using to try and sell you THEIR services.

You probably don't even realize this but at a basic level we are saying the same thing. The CK score is different than other scores you have gotten. I am telling you WHY it is different and that different is NOT wrong. You may not agree with it, but it is not wrong. As it is correct based on the model that CK uses.

Now, what model does CK use? They use the VantageScore 3.0, do you know who came up with the VantageScore?  I'll give you a hint it is a joint venture by 3 companies and their names start with Equ****, Tran******, and Exp*****. Don't believe me? Then go ahead and search "who created the VantageScore", and prepare for your jaw to drop.

You say going directly to the Credit Reporting Agencies site will get you your FICO score. Really? So you can get your FICO with all 3? You may want to double-check your facts on that as well. Exp*** uses it, but try to get it from TU or Equi*** and let us know how that goes.

But even with the one company that does give you a FICO score, in your original post you figured it was $1. Again..go read the details of that "$1" offer and let us know how you feel about that the second month after you get that additional charge because you didn't cancel. Again don't believe me, just search this site using those company names and see what you think then.

Now, I am not here to recommend or suggest any other sites so take this for what it is. But generally if I want to get a FICO score I go straight to the source, the company that created the FICO score. You can search for a site called "my FICO" and you will find quite a bit of very useful information from the company that created it. Including the difference between a Credit Score and Credit REPORT and the Credit Reporting Agencies role.

I will also say that unless you are actively looking for a loan or additional credit, checking your score is really just a waste of money. You may want to get one for a "baseline", but then after that just do things that you know will help your credit. Such as paying your bills on-time reducing the balances owed, removing any collection accounts and you can be just about guaranteed that regardless of what model is used your score is increasing, but baring a dramatic change anything more than a few points a month is out of the ordinary. Use that money you are saving from not buying more scores into paying off your debt.

A few other "hints".  When you do get your credit score, if it points out what your biggest negative factors are, pay attention to them and work on them first.

By the way I don't use CK and I do get my FICO score from other sources...Including a few of my accounts that offer it as a free service.

Don't think so

AUTHOR: Steven - (United States)

My comparison is not to "another company." My comparison was to the actual FICO scores on record with each credit reporting agency. So Credit Karma is exactly wrong, off by more than 100 points.

No lender looks at Credit Karma to get your credit score. Lenders look at one or more of the three reporting agencies. So that's great that Credit Karma has their own algorhythm but unfortunately, it spits out numbers that are vastly different from what is actually on record. You're saying it's correct if you live in the Credit Karma universe. I do not. I live in a universe where lenders use scores from actual cedit reporting agencies.

Go ahead and call my report laughable. At the end of the day, if you use Credit Karma, you're the one using incorrect data so have fun with that.

In your defense, Credit Karma has some web pages that offer a fairly convincing justification as to what exactly the scores they give me differ so greatly from what the credit reporting agencies have on file, including your argument about algorhythms, but if you really dig in and do your homework, lenders are only concerned with one algorhytm, which is your FICO8 Scores. And again, Credit Karma scores do not match up.

If CK was only a few points off that would be one thing, but over 100 points off? That seems like dirty pool to me.

To anyone reading this; go directly to Experian, TransUnion or Equifax, these are the credit reporting agencies lenders use to get your actual FICO8 score, a standard that has been in use for decades by lenders. It's a buck to get your reports DIRECTLY from all three agencies. Then look at your Credit Karma score. The only conclusion I can make is that it's ....Bad Karma!

They are not wrong

AUTHOR: Robert - (United States)

Your lack of understanding of Credit Scores is laughable..understandable..but laughable.

The scores you receive from CK are correct, based on CK's credit scoring algorithm that they use. The problem is that you are trying to compare the score you received from them with another company who uses a different scoring model. Where by some miracle you think they should be the same. Well..they aren't.

CK uses Vantage 3.0, Experian uses NES, and the most popular scoring model is FICO. All of which look at different factors and score them in different ways.   You could get different scores from the same exact credit report depending on which model is used.  Not only that but they can use different ranges. For example Vantage 3.0 and FICO use the 300-850 range for scores, but NES uses a 360-840 range.  If you found a company that  uses the original Vantage score that goes from 501 to 990.

If you go beyond that even within the companies there are different models. For example FICO has no less than about about 28 different models used for different factors, but there are really only 3-4 that are for "public" use.

The keys you need to take away from this.

1. Any credit score is only as good as your credit report. If your report is incorrect no score is valid.

2. Don't bounce between scores. Stick with one company and look at the trend. If you are trending up(or down) with one you will probably trend up(or down) with the others.   Your goal is to look at the long term..not quick snapshots.

3. If you want to know what your true(well as true as you can get) score is, stick with FICO. Find a company that will report your FICO score.

4. In general the best scores are for people that carry low balances on their credit cards, don't have a lot of credit inquiries, have a solid payment history(no late payments and no collection accounts), and a variety of credit(credit cards, installment loans..etc).

By the way don't sign up for that $1 score. As if you read the fine print you will realize you are actually signing up for a monthly service(billed at $15 20/month).