X  |  CLOSE

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Michael — Brentwood California
  • Safeco Insurance Nationwide USA

It took 13 months and counting to settle a claim.  I was rear-ended at a stop sign by a Safeco insured driver.  Safeco took full responsibility for it and told my insurance company they would handle it.  My car sustained significant damage and the body shop estimated that the other driver hit me at 40+ mph.  After first offering to fix the car with almost 100% used parts including used structural parts not approved by the manufacturer, upon break down they concluded my car was not repairable.  Safeco made a verbal offer which I agreed to and then they sent a check.  The check was short by $500 due to Safeco trying to stick their costs of the claim on me..  I returned it and said to include the full amount which they refused to do.  I filed a complaint with the California Department of Insurance.  Safeco reconsidered my claim and REDUCED the amount they were willing to pay by $1400.  In addition they cut off all car rental payments.  After a couple months more of trying to get them to do the right thing, I asked my insurance company to pay me and seek their payment from Safeco.

I then tried to get Safeco to pay my medical bills and rental car expenses.  They offered an amount that barely covered my out of pocket expenses but required me to sign a full release of all liability.  I refused and decided my only recourse was to go to court.  I went to Small Claims Court in Los Angeles and won a judgment against their insured.  Safeco made a partial payment on their insured's judgment but not the full amount -- consistent with my previous experience.  I fully intend to get the balance which means filing with the court a revocation of their insured's license.  They have another 12 days to comply.  A lot of grief for a very simple case.  Their insured should be totally pissed at Safeco as well for not handling the claim in a responsible manner.

Their employees are mean-spirited, rude, imperial and bullying.  They through out "last and final" offers like they are the grand pashas making a royal decree.  They use retaliatory behavior and a good class action lawyer should look at their practice of trying to force payment of their costs onto the victims.  I still have limited mobility in my neck with a bone chip floating around in there.  Safeco could have spent their time and energy making things right rather than treating me like a criminal.  In the end, Safeco will have spent far more than the modest amount I asked for which covered only my out-of-pocket expenses

Avoid this company at all costs.  I can only speak to the Los Angeles claims office.  They are unreasonable and you will never get a fair settlement on a claim.  If you are hit, INSIST your insurance carrier handle all dealings with Safeco and if injured, get a really strong lawyer.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/03/2014 05:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/safeco-insurance/nationwide/safeco-insurance-bully-tactics-and-retaliation-los-angeles-californianbspnationwide-1159474. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

2Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Safeco finally paid but insisted on further bully tactics

AUTHOR: Michael - ()

POSTED: Monday, July 28, 2014

Good news is that Safeco finally paid the judgment for their insured.  It was not without additional drama.  The claims adjuster, Ms. Ariel Bach of the Los Angeles office, sent a check for the amount of damages but the court had also ordered their insured to pay my court costs.  I cashed the check and sent Ms. Bach a note asking for the remaining amount.  A week later I received a check for the original amount PLUS the court costs.  I called the Safeco 800 number and asked whether I should cash it and send back the difference or what.  She reported that both the first check and the second check had stops on them.  The very nice 800 operator called Ms. Bach to ask about what's going on.  Ms. Bach would not get on the phone with me (most likely due to her history of games playing and chicken games) and reported back that yet another check had been sent.  When I checked with my bank, I had incurred stop payment fees which Ms. Bach demanded evidence of before agreeing to pay.  Relectant to play another game with Safeco to further their office amusement of how much damage they can cause if a complaint is filed, i asked for written assurance from Ms Bach that the new check would not again be stopped (copying the office of the CEO of Safeco) and she gave me a note.  After 13 months and much drama, Ms. Bach and Safeco couldn't help themselves from applying additional bully tactics.

I am taking the time to write all this because I do not abide by bullying.  I encourage anyone hit by a Safeco driver to go through their insurance company.  Do not let Safeco say they will handle it because they will short change, delay, and bully.  Their claims adjusters are imperial and rude.  If your injuries are minor, file a small claims case immediately to avoid months of drama -- the folks at Safeco seem to get off on it.  Ms. Bach may end up getting some "brownie points" at Safeco for saving them a small amount of money.  If you are a customer of Safeco or Liberty Mutual, go elsewhere.  This company needs to be shut down.

Seriously, you must be a Safeco employee or hired to clean up web postings

AUTHOR: Michael - ()

POSTED: Friday, July 04, 2014

You are most likely a Safeco employee or hired by Safeco for a response to internet postings.  I've read hundreds of postings for Safeco and a vast majority are highly negative and involve underpayment and bully tactics.

I did in the end go to my insurance company for payment as it was not forthcoming by Safeco.  Safeco initially told my insurance company that they would take care of everything so my insurance company backed off.  After 3 months and no end in sight, I went to my insurance company and let them know that I was unable to reach a conclusion with Safeco and that they needed to reimburse me.  I settled with my carrier in 10 days.  Safeco and my company couldn't reach an agreement  and the case ended up in 6 months of arbitration.  I didn't have medical coverage on my policy unless the other party was uninusred.  Safeco only agreed to pay an amount not even equal to full out of pocket costs (nothing for lost time and pain) which I agreed to but I would not sign their overall release of liability as I still have limited movement in my neck and bone chips floating around.  I went to court and won my judgment against Safeco's insured.  Safeco got stuck in the end but not without a ton of bullying, wasted time and a lot of wasted money.  I would have been in a much better position if the driver who hit me had NO insurance coverage.

If anything I UNDERSTATED the treachery of the Safeco employees.  They were based out of Los Angeles and engage in retaliatory practices.  The claims adjuster was a novice and rigid.  She didn't know what she was doing and made it clear that she thought I was the guilty party even though I was rear ended while stopped at a stop sign in full daylight.  I got xrays and I went for 10 weeks to a chiropractor which helped only partially.  I endured dozens of sleepless nights and persistent discomfort.  All I asked for was to be reimbursed for my costs.

I've assembled a binder and the California Insurance Commission has proceeded with a full investigation.   In their overzealous attempts to minimize claims, Safeco is most likely violating federal and state laws on an organized basis.  There is simply no excuse for their action.

Safeco's other victim is their insured.  She hired Safeco in good faith to protect her in the case of an accident.  She stated in court that Safeco acted irresponsibly with the claim.  She is the one with the judgment against her and will suffer the legal consequences should Safeco not pay in full in 10 days.

Really

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

POSTED: Thursday, July 03, 2014

I have had Safeco for almost 20 years and they have been the best insurance company ever.  I even have Mexico insurance at no cost.  I have roadside insurance, rental and towing and the cost is about 10 dollars a month.  They are quick when I submit claims and the reps are the nicest people ever.  Sounds like you did not get your way.  YOUR insurance should have been in contact with the other insurance not you.  THAT is the reason you pay for insurance. .

What a load of crap.