Ripoff Report Needs Your Help!
X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Washington Mutual - Brooklyn New York

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Brooklyn New York
  • Author Confirmed What's this?
  • Why?
  • Washington Mutual 290 Ave. X Brooklyn, New York U.S.A.
  • Phone: 718-336-0765
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Washington Mutual Stole over a hundred dollars in overdraft fees after wrongfully bouncing a check Brooklyn New York

Report about YOU
We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix

I received a check from my aunt a few years ago for my birthday. It was a Chase check, as she works for Chase. I brought it to my Washington Mutual bank and deposited it, then made some purchases. I got a letter in the mail the next week stating that the check had not cleared in the account and that several of my purchases were overdrafts because of it. I went to the bank and paid the $100+ that they told me I owed them, but resolved to look into the issue more.

I called my aunt and explained what happened. She asked me why the check had not cleared and when I read the whole letter from the bank, they said that they could not find the account it was coming from. She said this was impossible and that I should call Washington Mutual. I called their headquarters and explained the situation, but was told that Chase's stamp was on the check, making it their fault.

I relayed this information to my aunt and she investigated the matter further, talking to several high up managers in her Chase office. They said that it was most certainly not their fault, and that Wamu had affixed their stamp to the check. This went back and forth several times and I spent countless hours at my Washington Mutual branch and on the phone with many managers from Wamu. I never got a firm answer from Washington Mutual and they refused to refund my money.

To this day, they haven't corrected the problem.

Jim
Brooklyn, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/14/2009 03:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/washington-mutual/brooklyn-new-york-11223/washington-mutual-stole-over-a-hundred-dollars-in-overdraft-fees-after-wrongfully-bouncing-434269. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

Featured Reports

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair